Help me choose a distro (as I have reached the chat limit)

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
He Guys & girls,

Got a new laptop, Lenovo E530 (chose it for the battery life) as this will be the machine I work on when I travel.

I was thinking about trying Linux Mint as bugman was happy about that.

The laptop is new so I was thinking a large distro, that is usually best.

Any suggestions?

trinker

ggplot2orBust
I've really like Mint too but your needs are beyond mine. Talk to BG about Mint b/c he had noticed some limitations he was unhappy with.

bugman

Super Moderator
mmmm. The beauty of linux - endless choices!

TE, as mentioned I have found MINT to be nothing short of perfect. Fast and stable and usable.

I am still using MINT 13 because I have read about certain bugs in 14 (MATE edition) that make me think I'll wait a bit longer before upgrading.

Apprently the KDE addition of MINT 14 is getting really good wraps, but I am not much of a fan. Another getting heaps of praise is Mageia - but haven't looked into it.

What about Arch? That is gaining in popularity!

vinux

Dark Knight
What you wanted to do? Play with Linux or Do your work? If you wanted to use it as a machine and focus more on work, I would suggest Ubuntu Unity. Unity is getting better and better after each release. All unity shortcut except 2 or 3 are very useful in your work.

As an expert like you Mint will be wrapper (may be a nice wrapper) on Ubuntu. In my view, mint got advantage if your machine is not advanced. Mint also got some lag in implementing features. Nadia not implemented some of the features of Ubuntu 12.10. Also Oliva, will not have some features of Ubuntu 13.04.

bugman

Super Moderator
Good points vinux, but it also comes down to unity and last time I looked at unity it was pretty horrible compared to gnome.

vinux

Dark Knight
Good points vinux, but it also comes down to unity and last time I looked at unity it was pretty horrible compared to gnome.
I agree with the "Horrible' feeling in the beginning (It was ridiculous on Ubuntu 11.10). It take some attempts to get used to it. There are more pros (and cons) of unity. I guess I have mentioned those in Linux thread.

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
What you wanted to do? Play with Linux or Do your work? If you wanted to use it as a machine and focus more on work, I would suggest Ubuntu Unity. Unity is getting better and better after each release. All unity shortcut except 2 or 3 are very useful in your work.

As an expert like you Mint will be wrapper (may be a nice wrapper) on Ubuntu. In my view, mint got advantage if your machine is not advanced. Mint also got some lag in implementing features. Nadia not implemented some of the features of Ubuntu 12.10. Also Oliva, will not have some features of Ubuntu 13.04.
I am using Ubuntu 12.10 on my "old" laptop (a suped-up 5 kg calculation machine) I liked it as everything has an ease of use about it, so for getting something running quickly (i.e. get a machine setup to work on) then that is a good choice. My new laptop is for work only, writing and coding, major calculations take place on our newly acquired department cluster - so much speed I had trouble timing my c-functions ::) - so for this laptop I want the best possible hardware support, maybe even something lightweight so the battery life is even better? What do you recommend in the Ubuntu universe?

mmmm. The beauty of linux - endless choices!

TE, as mentioned I have found MINT to be nothing short of perfect. Fast and stable and usable.

I am still using MINT 13 because I have read about certain bugs in 14 (MATE edition) that make me think I'll wait a bit longer before upgrading.

Apprently the KDE addition of MINT 14 is getting really good wraps, but I am not much of a fan. Another getting heaps of praise is Mageia - but haven't looked into it.

What about Arch? That is gaining in popularity!
He bugman! Yeah, I never tried mint, so I am actually thinking of going there. What do you recommend? Cinnamon or Mate? Arch is going on my 5 kg "old" laptop because Arch has full CUDA support (thanks to the community repositories contain true gems (I know I know I can compile all that stuff from source myself... but this is just so much easier!!)).

What is your preferred DE?
I like gnome 3 actually, but that is because I am used to it... I guess. What are you using? I loved gnome 2 as well, kde never really got be going.

I've really like Mint too but your needs are beyond mine. Talk to BG about Mint b/c he had noticed some limitations he was unhappy with.
Maybe bg can comment in this thread?

Thanks for all the suggestions! :)

Last edited:

bugman

Super Moderator
He bugman! Yeah, I never tried mint, so I am actually thinking of going there. What do you recommend? Cinnamon or Mate? Arch is going on my 5 kg "old" laptop because Arch has full CUDA support (thanks to the community repositories contain true gems (I know I know I can compile all that stuff from source myself... but this is just so much easier!!)).
trinker has been liking cinnamon and I have to admit, for the time that it was running well I like it. Its slick, fast and very customisable. However! The new release of MATE 1.6 is where I'll go next on linux mint 14. MATE 1.6 looks awesome and is compatible with GTK3 themes and genrally just looks great.

So, based on my persoanl experience, if I had a new machine I'd install MINT 14 with MATE 1.6 (if like me you enjoy gnome 2), but install cinnamon aswell.

I am definatley putting Arch on my laptop, but I know set up is going to be a nightmare for me!

bugman

Super Moderator
TE, which distro did you chose?

I just installed Mint 14. 13 stopped updating so I decided to try 14 (MATE) - looks pretty good so far. Only problem I have found with my deviation project is Compiz Fusion Icon is buggy and Emerald themes not installing properly. But thats just eye candy. Other than that, its pretty nice.

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
The blog made me realize that the specific model I bought was ideal for Ubuntu.. I was right .. everything works out of the box!

However, as I am doing more and more via the terminal.. I think it is almost time to go for Arch.
Who wants to join me?

Oh and bugman, Sometimes it's the eye-candy that sells it ;)

bugman

Super Moderator
He Bugman,

Running MINT now, it certainly does look nice!
Though I'm getting ready to try Arch finally how about you?
Cool! Now with you and trinker, there is more of a community building...

Did you go for MATE or Cinnimon?

I am up for the arch challenge. I'll be loadingit onto my laptop, which I first need to clean up. Can we aim to start next week perhaps? Meanwhile, I'll download the iso.

I