Help understanding why my data is plotting like this

Miner

TS Contributor
It appears that you have run an experiment at two levels (2.15, 2.9). That would account for the variation along the y - axis with only two along the x - axis. This graph is typical for controlled experiments. If you are concerned about heteroskedacity, you could run a test for equal variances between the two levels of x.

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Well if you have a continuous variable explain by a binary variable you are pretty much just conducting the equivalence to a ttest and you could just run a ttest with pooled variance, then report out the mean differences with confidence intervals.

It appears that you have run an experiment at two levels (2.15, 2.9). That would account for the variation along the y - axis with only two along the x - axis. This graph is typical for controlled experiments. If you are concerned about heteroskedacity, you could run a test for equal variances between the two levels of x.
Sorry about this but having thought over what has been said, my study and the resulting data are from people answering two questionnaires, one on their social behaviours and one of their fear of crime, my study was not an experiment with conditions which is why I am confused. The only explanation I can think of is that the two sets are due to the male and female component of the study, could that be the reason it has plotted like this?