Help with correlations

Hi all,
I have trouble finding an answer to my question even though I believe it should not be too hard to answer.

I want to calculate a Spearman coefficient between a fixed variable X (e.g weight) and a variable collected 5 times Y (e.g. jump height). Let's say I have 3 participants. How should I do this in SPSS or Excel?
Subject Var1 Var2
1 1 2
1 4
2 2 4
2 6
3 3 6
3 8

1. Calculate the mean for variable Y and then do the correlation
1 1 3
2 2 5
3 3 7

2. Compute the correlation coefficient with the columns like this:
1 1 2
1 1 4
2 2 4
2 2 6
3 3 6
3 3 8

I know it is a basic question, but I can't find the answer and it changes the results.
Thanks,
Gabriel Moisan

hlsmith

Not a robit
Your data are vexing. Are some observations missing in the first dataframe? You also don't really label the columns. What does your original assignment look like. Post a screenshot of it, because your rendition doesn't make since.

Sorry. I know the data don't make any sense. I just picked random data. I am more interested in the format to use than in the result itself in that example.
I have attached a simple example. I want to calculate the coefficient correlation between weight of the participants and jump height.

Should I duplicate the weight value for the second trials or calculate the mean jump heights for each participant and then calculate the coefficient?
Capture d’écran, le 2019-09-19 à 08.30.31 (2).png