Help

Here is the question below:

Given below are the analysis of variance results from a Minitab display. Assume that you want to use a 0.05 significance level in testing the null hypothesis that the different samples come from populations with the same mean.

Source DF SS MS F P
Factor 3 13.500 4.500 5.17 0.011
Error 16 13.925 0.870
Total 19 27.425

Identify the critical value. Use four decimal places.

I beleive that I found the P-value - which is 5.17. However, I can not find the critical value. Please help

JohnM

TS Contributor
The p-value is .011. The critical value is the value of the F-distribution at .05 alpha level with 3 and 16 degrees of freedom.

Ok. I get it. However, my questions is on the following:

Given below are the analysis of variance results from a Minitab display. Assume that you want to use a 0.05 significance level in testing the null hypothesis that the different samples come from populations with the same mean.

Source DF SS MS F p
Factor 3 30 10.00 1.6 0.264
Error 8 50 6.25
Total 11 80

Identify the value of the test statistic.

I'm not sure how to calculate it this? Do I use the test stat for proportion? If so, how do I find the value of the test stat?

JohnM

TS Contributor
You don't need to calculate it - it's given in the ANOVA table - the test statistic is F, which is 1.6.

It is calculated by dividing MS(Factor) by MS(Error)
= 10/6.25

MS(Factor) and MS(Error) are variances.

There is also an example of this in the Examples section (thread entitled One-Way ANOVA).