Homework help post.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I don't know if anybody has noticed this but I tend to post a lot of redirects to the homework help thread. I finally realized that I'm probably wasting too much time actually going to that thread and typing stuff up each time so I figured I'd make a general post that I would just copy and paste every time somebody just posts a question without putting any effort into. Then I realized I didn't want to have just go to someplace else to copy that post or to open up a file or anything like that so I thought I would see if there is a way to copy some text to the clipboard using javascript. It's not the easiest thing to do but you can make it relatively easy to get the text you want.

I created a bookmark that has the following as the url:

Code:
[noparse]
javascript:window.prompt("Copy to clipboard: Ctrl+C, Hit cancel", 'Hi! :welcome: We are glad that you posted here! This looks like a homework question though.  Our homework help policy can be found [url="http://www.talkstats.com/showthread.php/57-We-only-provide-homework-help-to-those-who-show-effort"]here[/url].  We mainly just want to see what you have tried so far and that you have put some effort into the problem.  I would also suggest checking out [url="http://www.talkstats.com/showthread.php/14960-Forum-Guidelines-Smart-posting-behavior-pays-off"]this thread[/url] for some guidelines on smart posting behavior that can help you get answers that are better much more quickly.')[/noparse]
So then when I open that bookmark I get a pop-up and I just need to Ctrl-C to get the message in my clipboard. I would recommend hitting cancel or closing the window. When I hit enter or "Ok" then the text takes over the webpage and I need to refresh - so... you know... just avoid that. Then I can post it and the user will get the following message:

Hi! :welcome: We are glad that you posted here! This looks like a homework question though. Our homework help policy can be found here. We mainly just want to see what you have tried so far and that you have put some effort into the problem. I would also suggest checking out this thread for some guidelines on smart posting behavior that can help you get answers that are better much more quickly.

____

I thought I'd share in case anybody else wants to add that bookmarklet or if you have any feedback on how to make that post any better. I don't know an easy way to add line breaks in there but I don't really care too much about that.

Part of my reasoning for this is that I feel if we provide a more friendly post asking for more information then the student will be more willing to provide the desired information. As it is right now I usually just post the link - not even in a url tag - to the homework help policy. This doesn't seem to be the best way to do things I admit.