how hot are post-docs nowadays?

spunky

Doesn't actually exist
this came out from a 3-way conversation i had last week with two friends.

so soon-to-be-PhD-graduate (person A) asked the opinion of person B and myself about whether or not she should take a post-doc down at the U.S. top-ranked university, fully-funded for 2yrs. person A said she was interested but that ideally she was looking for something more 'permanent' (i.e. a tenure-track position somewhere... anywhere for that matter). i said if she was interested, maybe she should decline and just keep looking. person B (who's already graduated) said that in today's academic world, a PhD just doesn't cut it anymore and one or two post-docs are expected (usually with leaders in the field or at good-ranking programs) for you to become a competitive candidate.

i'm not sure if i agree with person B, but i do see a trend of a lot of my friends from conferences and other universities graduating from their PhDs and jumping straight into post-docs before even considering looking for a more permanent position...

... so what's the opinion out there? post-docs: hot or not?

spunky

Doesn't actually exist
mwahahahaha!!! that's a good one!!! :D

still tho... now i'm afraid i'll have to go do a post-doc if wanna get any kind of meaningful employment

hlsmith

Not a robit
It can never hurt. Though prospects can be greatly increased by the following:

Publications
Publications in top tier journal
Any track record of funding
Schmoozing
networking and who you know
Track record of working during school on good projects and people.

At times I have to rework my Cv because I have three varying fellowships that may look like I flipflop (bioterrorism, pharmacoepidemiology and multidisciplinary geriatrics. Big picture they all paid and provide some educational components. Every once in awhile I think about the countless side jobs I have had. I think I can come up with an experiential example for anything.

Lazar

Phineas Packard
You should almost ALWAYS!! take a post-doc. Two years no teaching and just a chance to publish....really this is your only way into a decent tenure track anymore. Thus I think your friend would be absolutely crazy not to take the position.

spunky

Doesn't actually exist
well... i'm kinda hearing anyone and i'm not sure if i like what i hear. so PhDs are really just not enough anymore to get you in a decent tenure-track position?!!? is that the moral of the story!?

Lazar

Phineas Packard
Put it this way Spunky, what do all applicants for an academic position generally have in common? A PhD and thus a PhD is an entry requirement to be considered for a position only (it is the lowest of the requirements you need to jump). Once you enter the race however you need something else to stand out.

spunky

Doesn't actually exist
Put it this way Spunky, what do all applicants for an academic position generally have in common? A PhD and thus a PhD is an entry requirement to be considered for a position only (it is the lowest of the requirements you need to jump). Once you enter the race however you need something else to stand out.

i really don't like it when you're right. it's annoying :p