How is the MS in Statistics at Texas A&M?

Hello,

I have recently applied to the Online Master in Statistics offered by Texas A&M. While I'm still waiting to hear about my application, I was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience with that Master (applied, enrolled, graduated).

If you had previously applied, how long did it take before you got an answer?
If you're currently enrolled or have already graduated, how heavy is the workload?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

seanw

Hello,

I have recently applied to the Online Master in Statistics offered by Texas A&M. While I'm still waiting to hear about my application, I was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience with that Master (applied, enrolled, graduated).

If you had previously applied, how long did it take before you got an answer?
If you're currently enrolled or have already graduated, how heavy is the workload?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Hi pollel,

I am currently in this program, nearing the end (I take 642 in the spring, diag exam in the summer, then work on my special problem till its done).

My case was weird. I applied a little late in the cycle (before it had closed though) and my application was apparently inadvertently overlooked. A week before classes were supposed to start, I still hadn't heard anything, so I contacted the program manager and inquired. She said, whoops, looks like your application was overlooked (she told me it looked very competitive) and reassembled the admissions committee. I had my acceptance notice the next day. So I can't say how long is normal, really.

The workload depends on the class you're taking and your ability level. The "core" classes, basically STAT 608 (Regression), STAT 630 (Overview of Mathematical Statistics), and STAT 641/642 (Methods in Statistics I/II) are notoriously difficult. STAT 630 was the easiest of the four for me, STAT 608 the hardest so far (about to start 642). This core work is very heavy on calculus, so I recommend you bone up if its been a while. You need to know and remember all the tips and tricks of partial integration and derivation. Some of the electives, like Methods of Multivariate Analysis, were similarly difficult. These classes are definitely a little less on the "applied" side. You could reasonably spend a Saturday working on a homework for one class. (I recommend forming study groups through GoogleDocs and such. They make life a LOT easier).

Other classes, such as Categorical Data Analysis, were comparatively pretty easy, at least for me. Also, there's a two-course programming sequence, STAT 604 and STAT 651 (I think). 604 is mandatory and 651 was recently made an elective but I STRONGLY recommend you take it anyway, it will make life in later classes much easier.

Homeworks are typically uploaded in pdf form through Webassign and exams are proctored. You pick the proctor; it has to be someone "above" you, so to speak (a work supervisor, commanding officer, clergyman, etc.). I have found the staff are very flexible, so when, e.g., my proctor failed to show up in time for my last exam, they allowed me to select a new one for the purposes of that exam.

Overall I think it's a spectacular program sporting some real heavyweights in the field (esp. Sheather) in its faculty.

Last edited: