How to code variables for vignette studies?

Hi,

I am a PHD student and just finished data collection for a vignette study. I designed an online questionnaire with 6 different scenario's, or vignettes. Following each vignette are 4 Likert scale questions. Everyone read all 6 vignettes and answered the 4 questions after each vignette. The vignettes are composed of two variables: relationship status (strangers/committed) and intoxication (low, medium, high). Thus, each vignette/scenario was composed of those two variables: 2 x 3 = 6 total. Now, I have no idea how to organize this data in SPSS. My dependent variables of interest are the 4 Likert-scale questions. How do I organize this data in SPSS to be able to analyze? Do I recode to new variables? If so, how do I do that with text inside of a vignette at the IVs? Any suggestions you have would be appreciated! Thank you!

Karabiner

TS Contributor
You have 4 variables, which were measured 6 times each. If you aim at perfomring repeated-measures analyses of variance, then you need 24 columns, e.g. stranger_low_question1 stranger_medium_question1 stranger_high_question1
committed_low_question1 (...) stranger_low_question2 (...) committed_high_question4

With kind regards

Karabiner

You have 4 variables, which were measured 6 times each. If you aim at perfomring repeated-measures analyses of variance, then you need 24 columns, e.g. stranger_low_question1 stranger_medium_question1 stranger_high_question1
committed_low_question1 (...) stranger_low_question2 (...) committed_high_question4

With kind regards

Karabiner
Hi there. Thanks for you help. I have decided to use a repeated measures ANOVA. One of my other hypotheses is about how participant's recent intoxication (dichotomous yes/no) impacts their responses to the DVs. How do I test this within the ANOVA? Would it be a mixed method ANOVA with the participants intoxication status (yes/no) as the between subjects factor?