Hypothesis Testing Problem

Mira

Hi again. I have a quick question regarding hypothesis testing. Below is the question that I'm working on:

On a national standardized reading comprehension test, the population of fifth-grade students has a mean score of 119. A random sample of 10 elementary school children was tested, yielding scores of 150, 101, 133, 125, 121, 13, 127, 129, 99, and 120. Does this sample of school children score below the population mean?

Since the null/alt hypotheses should state something about a population parameter, not the sample statistic, what should I do here? i understand that I'm supposed to calculate whether the sample's mean is significantly below 119 using a t-test... but the wording of the hypotheses are really tripping me up.

Any help would be much appreciated,
-Mira

E

elnaz

Hello
we have follow test in one sample only that u is mean of population and u0 is constant value that you have before if possible you repeat your question clearly
null hypotheses: u=u0
altrnative hypotheses: u<u0 or u>u0
thanks

Mira

elnaz said:
Hello
we have follow test in one sample only that u is mean of population and u0 is constant value that you have before if possible you repeat your question clearly
null hypotheses: u=u0
altrnative hypotheses: u<u0 or u>u0
thanks
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

In terms of mathematically stating the null/alt hypothesies, my intuition for this problem is like this:

H0: u=119
H1/Ha: u<119

However, I also need to state the hypotheses verbally. The question asks if the *sample* is below the mean of the population... but I was taught that the hypotheses should state a claim about the *population* (not the sample).

Would this be appropriate? :
H0: The sample is a random sample from a population of elemenary school kids where the mean reading comprehension score is equal to 119.
H1: The sample is a random sample from a population of elementary school kids where the mean reading comprehension score is below 119.

Last edited:
E

elnaz

Hello
i tell you that we can test just parameter .
then with this sample you should check u that is change it or not (u=119 or u<>119)