Hypothesis testing

conduct a hypotheses text for each sample at the .01 level of significance and what action should be taken provide the test statistic and p-value for each sample

the data is very long as it is 4 colums of 30 numbers each but perhaps what i am looking for is a boost in terms of how to conduct this problem

Dragan

Super Moderator
conduct a hypotheses text for each sample at the .01 level of significance and what action should be taken provide the test statistic and p-value for each sample

the data is very long as it is 4 colums of 30 numbers each but perhaps what i am looking for is a boost in terms of how to conduct this problem
What are the hypotheses that you are testing? In short, you need to be more specific.

i must provide the test statistic as well as the p-value for each test

sample 1 data
xbar- 11.96
Sx-.220

and determins what action if any should be taken

Dragan

Super Moderator
i must provide the test statistic as well as the p-value for each test

sample 1 data
xbar- 11.96
Sx-.220

and determins what action if any should be taken
Look, you're not defining your hypothesis. This is important.

For example,

H0: Mu=Constant
H1: Mu does not equal this Constant

Sampling distribution: t (df = N-1) and obtain the associated critical value
for example alpha = 0.05.

t = (Xbar - Mu) / (Sx/Sqrt[N])

where Mu is the specified constant given under H0.

You're decision rule is to reject or "fail to reject" H0 if the computed t-statistic exceeds the critiical value (in absolute value). This is the so-called "action" that you're referring to.

Note: You cannot obtain a p-value by hand calculation in this case. This requires numerical integration techniques...i.e. you need a computer algorithm to do this e.g. SPSS, EXCEL, Minitab, etc.

Mkay.

Look, you're not defining your hypothesis. This is important.

For example,

H0: Mu=Constant
H1: Mu does not equal this Constant

Sampling distribution: t (df = N-1) and obtain the associated critical value
for example alpha = 0.05.

t = (Xbar - Mu) / (Sx/Sqrt[N])

where Mu is the specified constant given under H0.

You're decision rule is to reject or "fail to reject" H0 if the computed t-statistic exceeds the critiical value (in absolute value). This is the so-called "action" that you're referring to.

Note: You cannot obtain a p-value by hand calculation in this case. This requires numerical integration techniques...i.e. you need a computer algorithm to do this e.g. SPSS, EXCEL, Minitab, etc.

Mkay.

perhaps if i restate the problem from the begging

conduct a hypothesis test for each sample at the .01 level of significane and what action if any should be taken provide the test statistice and the pvalue for each sample

for sample 1
the xbar caculated is 11.96
and s caculated is .220

can you please include the formula or the steps required to ge tthe test statistic and the p value is derived from the T table or ?

Last edited: