I am giving a talk about data analysis in the workplace Friday...

noetsi

Fortran must die
To a graduate statistics program and I would appreciate suggestions.

Remember this is not about working at RAND or the Census Bureau. :p Or DARPA....
Its for people who will be analyzing data in the "real world" meaning a non-research setting

Any job links (places to search for statistical type jobs) would be appreciated.

noetsi

Fortran must die
Thanks. I saw the comments on the book. But I did not see the tips themself (if they are supposed to be in the book all I got was the table of contents)

One of my power points is MIS IS YOUR FRIEND

or maybe not.....

Part of that slide is R is..... I was going to suggest a communist plot given that I was originally forbidden to load R by MIS at one organization until I appealed to a higher level.

noetsi

Fortran must die
Oh yeah. Today I decided 1) I don't actually understand even the basics of regression
2) A method I sold for this analysis (which is now done) may have to be tossed entirely after I boasted about all the neat stuff we found and after we spent hours on it...and I really am
not sure why its wrong (which going to make explaining why we won't be doing it humiliating at best).

I gave some thought this week to telling my unit that I don't know what I am doing and leaving. But they would tell me to stay anyway... :)

Of course since I know all the things that can go wrong in the data analysis process I can discuss them in some detail.... :p And after all I am a "Statistics and Research Consultant" one of the highest statical postions in the state (so if I can reach that level they sure can). :)

Lazar

Phineas Packard
Thanks. I saw the comments on the book. But I did not see the tips themself (if they are supposed to be in the book all I got was the table of contents)
They are kind of integrated throughout and then in a detailed appendix. Most chapters start with some story about undertaking some analysis for a particular client.

noetsi

Fortran must die
Do you have to buy the book to see them or are they in the link (I won't have time to get the book before the speach).