Implementing a VIF test on Panel Data in R

I'm currently writing my thesis about the performance of Ethical Companies.

I'm runnning a Fama Macbeth Cross Sectional Regression as in the picture attached.

The problem is that ESG score is correlated with Firm Size, and when I include firm size the alpha(1) changes a lot (turns from stat sign. negative to stat.sign. positive). I therefore fear that I have multicollinearity in the model.

I therefore want to run a VIF test, but as I am not to good in R I have problems implementing the code in R.

I tried to use the vif function in the car package, but just got error (I assume it is wrong coded):

Code:
vif(Y~X)
Error in vcov.default(mod) : 
  there is no vcov() method for models of class formula
In addition: Warning message:
In is.na(coef(mod)) :
  is.na() applied to non-(list or vector) of type 'NULL'

Here is the code that I use to run the regression, after I average and run t tests:

Code:
for (t in 1:T){
  Y=ZRet[t,]
  X=cbind(matrix(1,N,1),ESG[t,],Beta[t,],MarketCap[t,],PriceToBook[t,],Momentum[t,],BasicMaterialsDummy[t,],ConsumerGoodsDummy[t,],ConsumerServicesDummy[t,],HealthCareDummy[t,],IndustrialsDummy[t,],OilAndGasDummy[t,],TechnologyDummy[t,],TelecommunicationsDummy[t,],UtilitiesDummy[t,])
  Theta=solve(t(X)%*%X)%*%t(X)%*%Y
  gamma0[t,]=Theta[1,]
  gamma1[t,]=Theta[2,]
  gamma2[t,]=Theta[3,]
  gamma3[t,]=Theta[4,]
  gamma4[t,]=Theta[5,]
  gamma5[t,]=Theta[6,]
  gamma6[t,]=Theta[7,]
  gamma7[t,]=Theta[8,]
  gamma8[t,]=Theta[9,]
  gamma9[t,]=Theta[10,]
  gamma10[t,]=Theta[11,]
  gamma11[t,]=Theta[12,]
  gamma12[t,]=Theta[13,]
  gamma13[t,]=Theta[14,]
  gamma14[t,]=Theta[15,]
  }
Hope anyone can help!

Thanks,
Anders

rogojel

TS Contributor
hi,
I guess you need to run the regression, save the results in an object and call the vif function on THAT object, not on the formula.

regards

Got it now!

Had to transform my data from wide-form to long-form.

Then ran:

Code:
mydata=read.csv("US Panel Data.csv")

attach(mydata)

Y=cbind(Return)

pdata=plm.data(mydata,index=c("id","t"))

model=plm(Y ~ 1+ESG+Beta+Market.Cap+PTBV+Momentum+Dummy1+Dummy2+Dummy3+Dummy4+Dummy5+Dummy6+Dummy7+Dummy8+Dummy9,data=pdata,model="pooling")

vif(model)
This video was of help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pST2lUx6QM

/Anders