Improvement of predicitve power in logistic regression - when is it significant?

I've posted this in another forum before but didn't get answers, so I try it here again

I'm running a hierarchical logistic regression to find out if/how block 2 improves the predicted power in addition to block 1, so what I need is the value that is equal to ΔR2 in blockwise multiple regression.

Is it right that the difference from the 2-log-likelihood (2-ll) of my second block and the 2-ll from the first block tells me about the gain of predictive power? How can I find out if this gain is significant?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Englund

TS Contributor
Is it of theoretical value to decide whether it is statistically significant? You could always cross-validate the models on out-of-sample data in order to determine if the second block improves the predictive power.

Yes, it is very important. I don't have much clue about statistics so I don't really understand what you mean by crossvalidating on a out-of-sample data. Does it mean that I need to find another sample and take the same measurements? That is unfortunately not possible.
Isn't it also possible, to crossvalidate by splitting the original sample? I just don't know if it makes sense, because my sample is very small (n=42).

Another thing I've read, which is about the 2-log-likelihood again. The difference of the 2-ll from block 1 to block 2 is a chi-square distribution, so it would be possible to find out if it's significant or not through that value. I just don't know HOW. The difference between both 2-ll is 20.01 with 2 degrees of freedom. But then what?

Last edited:

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Is it right that the difference from the 2-log-likelihood (2-ll) of my second block and the 2-ll from the first block tells me about the gain of predictive power? How can I find out if this gain is significant?
Do a search for the likelihood ratio test.

With kind regards

K.