intermediate stats help (ANOVA/source table)

Hello,
So I have spent the better part of 2 hours looking at this problem, notes, websites and my textbook attempting to figure out how to do this problem and I'm at a loss, I don't know what else to try. The problem is set up as such
The 1991 General Social Survey collected data from a lot of people ab out a number of variables. Two of the variables are what region of the country do you live in (3 choices: Northeast, Southeast or West) and how many borther and sisters do you have. here are some characteristics of these data:
Northeast Southeast West
Mean 3.76 4.05 4.09
Varience (s^2) 8.64 8.96 10.60 sigma(X^2) = 37,223
sample size 676 410 419
sigmaX 2542 1662 1713

We're intersted in whethere families are larger in some parts of the US then in other regions. by hand and calculater do an ANOVA. Show all your computations and put your answer in a source table.

I don't know where to go with this now. The way the data is presented in the assignment is very different from that of what we have been presented with in class lecture and I'm so lost and ready to rip out my hair. Can anyone please offer some help, guidance, direction, anything?
Mallory

BioStatMatt

TS Contributor
You want to do a one-way analysis of variance. One-way because there is one factor, (the region) with three levels(NE, SE, W). You want to test to see if the means for the regions are different. A source table is one that looks like this:

Source DF SS MS F P

NE
SE
W
Error
Total

~Matt