Interpreting PROCESS mediation output (help!)

Ayuk

Hi there! I'm using the PROCESS tool in SPSS to test the following mediation model:

X (Mindset) ---> M (Coping strategy) ---> Y (Quality of life)

All variables are measured on a continuous scale.

I'm Using ''Discovering statistics using IBM SPSS'' by Andy Field as my bible, and now i am trying to interpret my output. However, I found a discrepency between the way the output is presented in Field and the way it is presented in my analysis. I followed the exact same steps.

Field: In the second model, where both X and M are added to the model, the mediator is the first variable added to the model. Therefore, we can conclude whether X significantly predicts Y, even with M added to the model.

My output (see photo): in this same model, where both X and M are included, the X variable was added to the model first. Therefore, I can only conlcude whether M significantly predicts Y, with X added to the model?

This doesn't make any sense to me and I am also wondering why the X and M variable switched places in my output. I see output similar to Field's when I look at other examples of PROCESS mediation analyses.

Someone please help!

Attachments

Karabiner

TS Contributor
It is not quite clear to me what your problem is. In the first model, Y is regressed on the predictor X, and predictor X has a small regression weight which is not statistically significant. So there's no need to add a mediator. Anyway, after adding M, predictor X is still not significant, while M has a statistically significant relationship with Y. Don't know what you mean by switching places, though.

With kind regards

Karabiner

Ayuk

Thank you for your reply. You say that after adding M, predictor X is still not significant. However, it seems as though in the second model, the X variable is added first. If I'm reading it like I would a simple regression, I would interpret that as: after adding X (mind_TN) mediator M (COP) is still significant. Tot conclude what you concluded, we would expect to see the M variable (COP) first, followed by the X variable (mind). That's what I meant with 'switching places'
. Maybe I'm overthinking or reading it wrong, would love to hear your thoughts.