Introduction

Hi, my name's James, I'm an English teacher, and currently doing quantitative research for my MA dissertation. Which is where my question today in the research section comes from. Cheers!

noetsi

Fortran must die
Is your dissertation in the program English? The english programs I knew gave applied types a hard time :) Never would have allowed it in research.

Yes, Applied Linguistics, as the name suggests, is the application of linguistics to 'real life'. It is concerned with such issues as, for example, educational policy (e.g. which languages should be taught in schools?), politics (e.g. do immigrants have to learn the language of the country they go to?) or media (e.g. how certain media use language to reinforce stereotypes), and is interesting, for sure. My dissertation, the question about which I've placed in the 'Statistical research' forum, isn't really about that side of things, though, more of a traditional, classroom-based grammar teaching investigation.

noetsi

Fortran must die
When, long ago, I was in international relations I read articles on how one language was associated with another language (or language group) and how that influenced culture.