Is it possible to calculate mean and standard deviation of the difference between pre-intervention and post-intervention values?

Iker

Hi all,
I am wanting to perform a meta-analysis and some of the articles included only provide baseline and post-intervention mean and standard deviation values for the group. Hence, I´m wanting to calculate the mean and standard deviation of the difference between pre-intervention and post-intervention values within that group. I´ve attached an image to make the explanation easier: if I only have the first 2 columns, is it possible to calculate the 3rd column?
I wonder if there is any way (in STATA or any other software) that this may be calculated.
Thank you very much in advance for your help. 16A5A6A2-9FB3-4C57-8FFE-F09C9D5C7AD0.jpg

Last edited:

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
You can get the mean difference just by taking the difference of the means. The standard deviation is trickier if the data is paired which is seems like it would be. Do you have access to any other information at all? Possibly a correlation coefficient?