Junes: Hi there! (new here)

Hi everyone!

I just joined a few days ago, and I'm already addicted. I just love picking off the easy questions and learning something new from the harder ones.

I just started teaching at a university for applied sciences (as they call it in English) in the Netherlands. Basically, it's a kind of vocational school for higher-level practical jobs; we teach people who aspire to become nurses, journalists, programmers, graphic designers, those kind of jobs. Right now I teach a first-year course in methodology (both quantitative and qualitative) and one in statistics to communication and business students. I love teaching and I love my students, even though they're not exactly stats wizzes. :) Who knows one would need to spend 10 minutes understanding moving averages... :rolleyes:

My background is in psycholinguistics (MSc.) and AI/cognitive science/cognitive psychology (BSc.). Lately I feel that I don't test my brain enough, so I'm thinking of joining some research projects to help on the statistics part (there's a dire need for stats people at these kind of schools). Maybe also some qualitative stuff (I worked in market research and while I hated it, I love doing interviews). At any rate, I will be checking in here now and then to pick up new ideas and learn new things!

I try to stay out of topics where I'm out of my depth, but you're of course welcome to correct me when I'm wrong.

EDIT: since my username is pretty gender-neutral, it might be a good idea to state that I am a human being of the male variety.

Last edited:

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Re: Hi there! (new here)

Hi Junes,
welcome onboard :)

It is nice to see people willing to contribute to help others and to share knowledge and experiences :tup:

As for me, I am an archaeologist "forced" to face stats issues. It happened to me to help peolpe here, and to learn a lot from moderators and other users.

Best Regards and see you here in the Forum,
Gianmarco
:wave:

Thanks for the kind and welcoming words, gianmarco.

What kind of research do you do? And what are the kind of stats that you need for that?

Snap Junes, well on the joining the forum front anyway. Sounds like you have some fantastic experience already, I understand what you mean about this forum being addictive if you're a numbers person! I've been on for ages already just engrossed and in awe of the information available. It's literally like a goldmine on here!

Good luck on the research!

Range.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans

Snap Junes, well on the joining the forum front anyway. Sounds like you have some fantastic experience already, I understand what you mean about this forum being addictive if you're a numbers person! I've been on for ages already just engrossed and in awe of the information available. It's literally like a goldmine on here!

Good luck on the research!

Range.
... Were you using a different username or something? It appears to me that your join date is today.

... Were you using a different username or something? It appears to me that your join date is today.
Sorry I meant on here for ages reading, not posting. ie I spent like 1/2 day just looking through the threads yesterday on iphone

gianmarco

TS Contributor

Hi Junes!

As archaeologist dealing with prehistory (Bronze Age), it happens to me to make comparisons between groups, to test for correlations of some kind, to explore relations between categorical variables, to search for patterns in datasets.
As consequence, my stat interests are centred around descriptive statistics, analysis for correlation and regression, hypothesis tests, and multivariate exploratory analyses like Correspondence Analysis, Cluster Analysis and, to less extent, Principal Component Analysis and Multidimensional Scaling.

Besides, in relation the use of radiocarbon dating, I am interested in Bayesian modelling of radiocarbon determinations.

Best Regards
Gm

Dason

Ambassador to the humans

Junes! Just FYI if you get one more post you have access to a chatbox on the frontpage!