Just need a little help??

Okay I am really bad at this stuff so if I could get some help on this problem??

Your chemistry instructor informs you that she will grade your final exam on a curve. You discover he will give an A to those who scored in the top 10% of the class . Those who score above the bottom 70% abd below the top 10% will recieve a B. Those who score above the bottom 30% and below the top 30% will recieve a C. Suppose you must gt a C or better on the final exam to pass the course.THe test scores are normally distributed with a mean of 25 and a standard deviation of 5 . What is the minimum score you must recieve on the final exam to pass the course? If you earned a score of 29 what is your final grade on the exam?

If I could just get an example of how to do this one that would be great cause I have a bunch of problems to do like this

JohnM

TS Contributor
This uses the standard normal distribution. You are given the percentile ranges for each letter grade. Convert the percentile ranges into z scores (look up in the normal distribution table) and then convert the z scores into raw scores using a mean of 25 and std dev of 5.

In order to get a C, you need to be above the bottom 30% of the area under the curve. Find the z score corresponding to the point dividing the bottom 30% from the top 70%. Then use the formula z = (x - mu)/s to find x, which is the score you need to pass.

A raw score of 29 equals a z score of:
z = (29-25)/5 = 0.8

Convert the z score into a percentile to figure out the corresponding letter grade.

JohnM said:
This uses the standard normal distribution. You are given the percentile ranges for each letter grade. Convert the percentile ranges into z scores (look up in the normal distribution table) and then convert the z scores into raw scores using a mean of 25 and std dev of 5.

In order to get a C, you need to be above the bottom 30% of the area under the curve. Find the z score corresponding to the point dividing the bottom 30% from the top 70%. Then use the formula z = (x - mu)/s to find x, which is the score you need to pass.

A raw score of 29 equals a z score of:
z = (29-25)/5 = 0.8

Convert the z score into a percentile to figure out the corresponding letter grade.

THank you soooo much, this really helps!!!!!!

Michele