Likert scale analysis

Dear list members,
I have developed a questionnaire to find out which aspects of a curriculum are more important and should be given more attention. Each aspect is a question. There are 30 questions. Round about 200 experts are going to be asked to rate each question on a scale of 1-4, 1 being the least important and 4 the most important. I'm going to add the ratings that each aspect receives and compute a total score for each aspect (perhaps this total score should be divided by the number of respondents if each aspects is rated by different number of respondents). Then rank the aspects on the basis of their total score. The aspect which has the highest total score is the most important and the rest follow.
The respondents (experts) come from different institutions in the country. I can also have rankings of aspects according to institution. Say, for example, aspect3 is the most important one according to experts in Institution X and the third important one according to experts in Institution Y.
I'm just wondering if the ratings can be put to any statistical test. What other information apart from rankings can I squeeze from the data? Does chi square help here? Correlations?
My SPSS spreadsheet will look like this.
Any comments, suggestions and ideas will be appreciated.
Regards
Humphrey

Expert1 Expert2 Expert3 Expert4 Expert5 Total Aspect
Aspect1 2 1 4 3 1 11
Aspect2 2 2 4 3 4 15
Aspect3 1 1 2 2 3 9
Aspect4 3 3 4 4 4 18
Aspect5 1 1 1 1 2 6
Total Expert 9 8 15 13 14

JohnM

TS Contributor
"I'm just wondering if the ratings can be put to any statistical test. What other information apart from rankings can I squeeze from the data? Does chi square help here? Correlations?"

This all depends on the questions you would like to answer.....Besides a ranking of the aspects by "importance," what else would you like to learn from the data?

If you can articulate some specific questions, these will lead directly to the appropriate analyses to answer the questions....