Linear Regression vs Goal-Regression

What is the difference between goal-regression and linear regression? I understand how linear regression works but I wasn't able to find many resources on goal-regression and the one's I did find weren't very clear. I'd like to understand it in layman terms. If anyone could help me understand goal-regression that would be great. Thanks in advance.

I didn't realize both sites were connected.
They are not. We just notice things.

But don't you think that it is rude to ask for an explanation when someone else is also busy doing the same thing? Would it been OK for you if nobody had noticed?

But you can answer me: Why should I or anybody else help you? Give me a motivation!

They are not. We just notice things.

But don't you think that it is rude to ask for an explanation when someone else is also busy doing the same thing? Would it been OK for you if nobody had noticed?

But you can answer me: Why should I or anybody else help you? Give me a motivation!
I believe you are taking this way out of context. The only reason I posted twice was so I might be able to find different answers if I posted on different forums. Somebody who replies on stack overflow might not see this thread and vice-versa. What is so rude about that?

hlsmith

Not a robit
The critique may be, if I take 5-10 minutes of my life answering the question then see that someone on SO posted the exact same response - I just lost part of my life trying to help you when you already had the solution. There isn't a feedback loop letting me know the question is resolved, plus people on TS wouldn't get the benefit of directly seeing the varied solutions on SO and lose an opportunity to learn more on the topic themselves. In addition, some times on say SO, they ask you to clarify your question or context - which helps readers better answer the post. Though readers on the other site (TS) may still struggle trying to understand the original presentation of the question.

I did a quick search on the term and didn't see much. I wasn't sure if this topic gets called something else that may be better known.

Last edited:

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Personally I've never heard of goal-regression before.

But I think you received a bit too much kickback here on the cross-posting. Cross-posting isn't too big of an issue but it's typically courteous to mention where you've cross-posted so that others can check to see if you've received an adequate reply yet. It seems you haven't really gotten a decent reply at either site yet. Hopefully somebody who knows what goal-regression is will help you out.

Personally I've never heard of goal-regression before.

But I think you received a bit too much kickback here on the cross-posting. Cross-posting isn't too big of an issue but it's typically courteous to mention where you've cross-posted so that others can check to see if you've received an adequate reply yet. It seems you haven't really gotten a decent reply at either site yet. Hopefully somebody who knows what goal-regression is will help you out.
Thanks Dason, I honestly wasn't aware of the cross-posting issue. I just recently started to posting to forums.

shikha111,

In the future when you have a question you need to start your own thread and not post randomly into an existing thread. On the homepage you just click the content area related to your topic; "Statistics" and then click open/start a new thread.

You have no correlation. You have a positive correlation coefficient, meaning both variables tend to increase together. Though you can't rule out no correlation between the variables given the large p-value. I would image given the r and p values, that you have a small sample size. Typically your best approach is usually looking at a scatterplot of your values to visual any relationships.