Linux

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
So which DE are you using?
I would classify myself as an xfce user. That's what I log into 90% of the time.

... but I will admit that I also have gnome installed. I like to peak in every now and then and even though it's never everybody's cup of tea I do like gnome-shell. If I had a better computer I would probably use gnome more often but after I've been logged in for a while it starts to get a little laggy on my old hardware.

bugman

Super Moderator
Nice Dason.

I am an old school Gnome 2 (MATE ) fan. I really like Emerald and its themes, which I dont think can be run in Gnome 3.

bugman

Super Moderator
Does anyone know a) what the deal is with AWN dock and why its not available in package manager for ubunut anymore? And:
b) is there a good alternative? I am basically looking for a wide transparent panel that I can set behind my gnome panel - a nice feature of AWN.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I don't know why it wouldn't be there but it appears it isn't. Are you using ubuntu-gnome or are you talking about the top panel in Unity?

Can you describe your desired functionality a little bit more? I use docky which is nice - I've heard good things about cairo-dock as well but I'm not sure if they do what you want?

bugman

Super Moderator
And yeah, I realise that description was a bit naff.

So basically prior to upgrading to Qiana (Mint 17) I had customised basic5 textual icons
on cairo dock. I had a blank AWN transparent panel behind the cutomised icons and the gnome autohide panel (which I use for the menu).

http://www.deviantart.com/?q=basic+textual#/art/BASIC5-TEXTUAL-102918120?_sid=29f4ad93

I hope this is a bit more clear - if not, I'll post a screenshot when I get home a little later.

So anyway, the criteria for the dock:

panel mode which allows for transparency, that I can set behind another dock and the gnome panel.

I got this idea from deviantart, but

If there is a better way to do this I would love to know.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
You can make docky have a transparent panel, you can put it into 'panel mode' which makes it span the width of the screen, and autohide - it also has no problem being behind other panels. Maybe docky can work for you.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Linux folk might like this, especially if they use dropbox: encrypt yo stuff with encfs! Then install gnone-encfs-manager to easily handle your stashes. This can let you set up a private folder and sync an encrypted version of it in your dropbox. That way, it's backed up AND encrypted, and all you ever deal with is the decrypted folder in your home directory.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gencfsm/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install encfs gnome-encfs-manager
encfs ~/Dropbox/.encrypted ~/Private
Select 'p' unless you want some advanced stuff you can figure out. Set options in the manager such as changing your password, how to automount, and whether you want the password saved in your keyring or if you want to enter it in manually each time.

This makes it very easy to handle a variety of encrypted stashes, whether locally or on a usb drive, say.

If you wonder why my interest, TrueCrypt has been discontinued. Some complain, but it makes sense because virtually every system has an encryption solution, often better solutions. Though, TrueCrypt offered something unique, I needed to find a native linux approach. This was it.

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
Linux folk might like this, especially if they use dropbox: encrypt yo stuff with encfs! Then install gnone-encfs-manager to easily handle your stashes. This can let you set up a private folder and sync an encrypted version of it in your dropbox. That way, it's backed up AND encrypted, and all you ever deal with is the decrypted folder in your home directory.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gencfsm/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install encfs gnome-encfs-manager
encfs ~/Dropbox/.encrypted ~/Private
Select 'p' unless you want some advanced stuff you can figure out. Set options in the manager such as changing your password, how to automount, and whether you want the password saved in your keyring or if you want to enter it in manually each time.

This makes it very easy to handle a variety of encrypted stashes, whether locally or on a usb drive, say.

If you wonder why my interest, TrueCrypt has been discontinued. Some complain, but it makes sense because virtually every system has an encryption solution, often better solutions. Though, TrueCrypt offered something unique, I needed to find a native linux approach. This was it.
Now that is useful bg! Also note that TrueCrypt seems to have been compromised. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesly...-disappears-with-suspicious-cloud-of-mystery/

Then again, I have heard people complaining that quite a few sensitive open-source software projects have had "government-linked" contributions over the past few years. Seems you're never fully & truly encrypted.
I've even heard some say that you can't trust the random number generation by intel CPUs anymore.... though I'm not quite so heavy into computer science to know it could be true or debunk it as nonsense.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I use vi a bit. I agree though that this isn't really a test of how well you know linux. It's a biased test of how well you know some of the tools that the author of the test uses tossed in with some generic linux questions

bugman

Super Moderator
I just finished installing an configuring Linux Mint Qiana and just thought I'd share my latest desktop configuration.

This and a few others might end up on my deviant art page, where I have stolen the conky config and most other things. View attachment 4555