Linux

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Anyone use Bohdi? I've heard/seen good things. If it's lightweight enough, I was thinking of using it to make my laptop a dummy terminal to remote into my desktop (so I can use my PC from downstairs and be productive!)

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
It would probably be better to ask what I *did* like it about. Because the answer is pretty much nothing. I didn't like any of the components more than dealing with something like xfce, gnome, kde, openbox, ...

I mean it's a different toolkit and you interact with it a little bit different but I just didn't really like it and it's hard to pin down a specific reason why. Have you used it? What do you like about it?

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Nope. Never used it. Only used Openbox back in the Knoppix live-cd days, but it looked similar to that. I wouldn't mind using an openbox desktop again, especially on an old laptop. I'll give Bohdi a try in a VM when I have time, but maybe I'll just use Arch or something.

Linux and Unix (for that matter) are only more secure because they have not been targeted by the hacking community. Windows does have many, many built in security problems, and Microsoft's arrogance just taunts the hackers to prove it to MS over and over again.

bugman

Super Moderator
Just installed Manjaro 0.8.10 and got this error message when installing rstudio-desktop:

Code:
src/gwt/CMakeFiles/gwt_build.dir/build.make:52: recipe for target 'gwt_build' failed
make[2]: *** [gwt_build] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:93: recipe for target 'src/gwt/CMakeFiles/gwt_build.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [src/gwt/CMakeFiles/gwt_build.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:137: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in package().
    Aborting...
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build rstudio-desktop.
==> Restart building rstudio-desktop ? [y/N]
I haven't come across this kind of error before, could some help out?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
rstudio-desktop is very out of date and orphaned so I'm not surprised that it fails to build. Install rstudio-desktop-bin instead if you want the latest 'current' release. Otherwise you could install rstudio-desktop-git if you want the latest build from git but it takes a while to build.

bugman

Super Moderator
Thanks Dason.

Code:
yaourt -S rstudio-desktop-bin
Same error. I think there may be an issue with the installation.

I'll get back if it reoccurs after re-install.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Mainly because I don't understand where the gwt_build error would come from if you were installing rstudio-desktop-bin. As the name implies it's actually a binary install (for the most part) so it doesn't actually compile anything. It downloads the .deb file from the rstudio website, extracts some stuff from there, and that's about it. If you tried installing from rstudio-desktop or rstudio-desktop-git then those errors are possible (and I've dealt with them before too) but you shouldn't be getting that from rstudio-desktop-bin.

vinux

Dark Knight
I am going to change my Hard drive to SSD (Solid state drive). I think this will change dramatic change in the booting time. Have any one experienced the difference?

bugman

Super Moderator
Mainly because I don't understand where the gwt_build error would come from if you were installing rstudio-desktop-bin. As the name implies it's actually a binary install (for the most part) so it doesn't actually compile anything. It downloads the .deb file from the rstudio website, extracts some stuff from there, and that's about it. If you tried installing from rstudio-desktop or rstudio-desktop-git then those errors are possible (and I've dealt with them before too) but you shouldn't be getting that from rstudio-desktop-bin.
Found the error. Not enough virtual memory in root partition. Sorry for the stooopid error.