Linux

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
The archWiki is AMAZING. I don't use Arch on any machine I regularly use anymore but I still love it and the wiki is on of the most amazing parts about arch. Well the wiki and the AUR.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Why hello there Talk Stats. You look so different from my newly installed Ubuntu 11.04 (Unity 2D) system! I have to say, I love this. Not only can I watch videos more cleanly now (or, in the case of The Daily Show, at all!), even the migration was simplified. I had backed up a lot of my stuff on an external hard drive (enclosed an old 80 GB laptop drive), but Ubuntu recognized my Windows XP partition. It gave me options to migrate over all of the user stuff (My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos, etc.). It also included options for Firefox profile, but that didn't actually work. I still have a lot of programs I need to install (e.g., Thunderbird! and especially Keepass for Windows through WINE). I wish I had a system that could take full advantage of this system, though. I test ran it at work on a dual core, and everything was nice and snappy with Unity 3D. Alas, my system is too old. I had to regress to Unity 2D and turn off animations and some other features. Frankly, I don't do that much on my home computer, so this is an easy trade. Plus, I get all the benefits of having Linux (security and a great development environment). I'm keeping my old system that I probably won't use too much. Really, I'll need it if I use ArcGIS at home, but it's still so disgustingly slow, I'll try to avoid it! The day Esri learns the benefit of porting to Linux, I will be happy! (Especially since I want to work on the integration of R and ArcGIS).

Some interesting things I noticed: Ubuntu didn't have a problem with my new Bluetooth dongle (adapter) I just got! I had a hell of a time getting the drivers and software installed on Windows. Granted, I'm sure Windows 7 or even Vista wouldn't have had such a problem. Still, everything worked out fine, and nothing beats the vast amount of software I have at my finger tips!

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Did you try out gnome-shell at all? I know Unity 3d was laggy on my system but gnome shell is really snappy. I also think it looks really sleek. In 11.04 there was issues with installing gnome shell but in 11.10 they built unity on gnome 3 so it's a simple install through the software center this time.

Edit: On the note of drivers - they really have worked hard on trying to get things to "just work". The Ubuntu devs really want it to be a distro that people can just pick up and use without much hassle. With that said even though I love gnome-shell they did make it a pain to configure things. Of course it's possible for the power user to change things around but they made it harder for the moderate user like myself to customize things. But most of the defaults are alright so eh. But that's more the gnome devs fault than Ubuntu's (well Canonical's) fault...

Last edited:

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Nah, I haven't tried gnome shell yet. I noticed it coming up when I did some research into lowering my resource demands. The Unity 2D is working okay for me. There is still some hang ups in speed, and for some reason my edits to Compiz and Unity don't seem to be taking much effect (if I say make the icons smaller, they should be smaller!!). I'll probably try out the gnome shell later when I have more time to play with it. I'm still working on customizing my content. I especially need to find a way to make WINE applications more accessible. I recall it being a lot easier when I was using Ubuntu 9.x. The only way I can see to get my password program (Keepass) to start up is by actually opening the database file itself. I wanted the .exe file to be sufficient, and it never starts up. I don't see any sort of WINE loader, though. I'd like to have something like that on my "taskbar," so I can just click on it, get a list of my WINE applications, and go from there. Granted, I only have 1 right now, but I will have more. WINE is a pretty amazing program with what can be done with it.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I probably should look into WINE more but it's given me trouble in the past and I don't really have any programs I care too much about having at my disposal always. If I need a program that is windows only it's probably on one of the university terminal servers so I can just use that!

Speaking of things that gave me trouble in the past I know that everytime I mess around with compiz settings something ended up breaking horribly. That's another reason I'm not a huge fan of unity...

In terms of lightweight DEs if I really needed something lightweight I usually go with xfce (but lxde is lighter and still pretty awesome).

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
I just like the fact switching to Ubuntu with Unity 2D has added at least another year or two to my PC. I'm going to keep Puppy Linux on my flash drive for when I want to play around on something uber-light! I've liked Compiz when I get to play around with it on a higher-end PC. It makes for an awesome visual experience. Frankly, I like Unity. I just hate the slowness of my technology lol I also am not liking the new package manager front-end. Mainly, it's a resource hog for me! It takes forever to load up, and I don't see a way to do batch installs. I have to search around (slowly) for each piece and add them to the queue. In earlier interfaces, you could just check what you wanted to install (like Cygwin on Windows) and then submit them to all be downloaded. It wasn't as visually appealing, but I prefer it to the "web interface" look of their current manager.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
You can download the synaptic package manager and use that instead of the software center if you want. I actually like the software center for what it is - an easy to use way interface to browsing the higher end packages. For libraries and other random packages I typically use synaptic or apt-get.

I never cared much for the flashy compiz effects - they didn't make anything more productive - sure they looked nice but I've never had a machine that could use all of the flashy effects without taking a decent hit to performance so I've always steered clear of that.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think the software center is nice. It's just a bit cumbersome when I need to first put together my software library, and I'm in "hunt and peck" mode, so to speak. If my system could run it quick and snappy, it wouldn't be such a big deal. If I knew what it was I was looking for, I'd just use apt-get (so easy!). I just had a much easier time putting together my system with Synaptic because I could gather, basically, my entire system at one time. The Software Center is like my "apps store," which I'm sure is what they were going for. I love that, and will spend some time next weekend looking for some fun games to distract me like I do on my phone! lol

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Update: I was going to switch to xfce4 desktop environment, but realized I could just download the entire xubuntu-desktop from the Software Center. I have to say, I am loving xfce!! It comes with that autohide panel at the bottom of the screen that I believe Macs have (or used to have). It is basically like the side-panel in Unity. The top panel is basically the same, but I do miss the unified menu bar in the panel that Unity has. I'm not a fan of having panel tabs for every window. Granted, I'm coming from XP, so it's no different there, but I'm also using Windows 7 at work, and I like having everything hidden in the panel when I minimize it, which Unity sort of mimics. For low resource systems like mine, xubuntu is awesome, and it still has a lot of user-friendly features as far as its interface goes. I don't find anything in Unity (gnome) that would give me a great advantage to my work flow to really move away from xfce. Then again, I'm not really up on what it might offer! In any case, migrating to Linux was the best choice I've made this year (as far as I can recall at the moment lol)

bugman

Super Moderator
migrating to Linux was the best choice I've made this year (as far as I can recall at the moment lol)
Mine too. I have been using Ubuntu 11.10 for the last couple of weeks and love it. I like the 2D option, which like bryangoodrich said has added time to my computer, which is good and bad because I need an excuse to upgrade so I can really take advantage of Linux. It looks like darkroom has been modified and improved, so I am pretty pleased about that too.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I don't find anything in Unity (gnome) that would give me a great advantage to my work flow to really move away from xfce. Then again, I'm not really up on what it might offer!
The user interface is just one part of what makes up a desktop environment. Another part is the set of applications it comes with. I tend to prefer the applications that come with gnome over those in xfce. The ones in xfce are more lightweight (which is nice) but I tend to not like them quite as much. But if you start with gnome and then add xfce you'll have both set of packages so it doesn't really matter that much. It's just something to point out that your experience might be different if you started with xfce without having gnome (then again I don't know which applications you use) and you can always download the gnome packages you would want (but with all the dependencies it's just easier to get gnome...)

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
I'm currently downloading Arch, because of the excellent support for developers. Will report back on if I like it. Anybody got experience with Arch?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
It's a nice distro. It's very lightweight and right off the bat all you get is the command line so you get the feeling of building most of the system yourself which makes it feel quite personal. Make sure you learn about the AURs because they make life a lot nicer.

bugman

Super Moderator
Has anyone got a fix for duplicate music files in banshee (ubuntu 11.10)

I installed my music library and there are 2-3 duplicates of everything in there now. I have tried re-installing, forums and even tried installing itunes with wine? No joy.

Has anyone else come across this before?

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
Wait, how about showing us an excerpt of your music directory.

e.g. on my machine;

Code:
cd "/mnt/storage/Music/Albums/Beatles - the white album"
ls
01 - Back in the Ussr.mp3*  04 - Ob-la-di, ob-la-da.mp3*                     07 - While my guitar gently weeps.mp3*  10 - I'm so tired.mp3*
02 - Dear prudence.mp3*     05 - Wild honey pie.mp3*                         08 - Happiness is a warm gun.mp3*       11 - Black bird.mp3*
03 - Glass onion.mp3*       06 - The continuing story of Bungalow Bill.mp3*  09 - Martha my dear.mp3*
Just to make sure the doubles aren't in your music library (which I now suspect as the problem is cross platform)