Mediation - indirect effect, total effect and direct effect are negative

Please, can someone help me.

I did mediation analyses in Spss and Process program. I took simple mediation, model 4. I got my results. Total effect x on y is -.412 and it is statistically significant. Direct effect x on y is -.278 and it is also stat significant and indirect effect is -.134 (CI 95) lower -.205 upper -.071. My question: is indirect effect significant, because it doesn`t include zero? Thanks.

Last edited:

hlsmith

Not a robit
Given what you have provided, yes. If confidence interval excludes the null values then they are different from 0 at the set alpha level.

Thank you very much! I have dilema because mediation effect is negative. Can I interpret these results that direct effect is bigger but indirect effect even though is smaller it is stat significant, and we can speak about mediation?

Last edited:

hlsmith

Not a robit
To say one effect is bigger you ideally would compare them some how. You may get away with such a comment if their confidence intervals don't overlap, a pseudo proxy for a formal test. Did you find the negative associations surprising? Also, people should try to not get stuck on the "significant" terminology and pay more attention to the effect sizes and precision of those estimates.

Last edited:
Direct effect is -.278 and it is statistically significant p .000 (Lower -.445 and upper -.112) and indirect effect is -.134 (CI 95) Lower -.205 Upper -.070, and it is also stat sign because excludes zero. I thought because both effects are significant that i can interpretate that I have direct and also indirect effect x on y? I didn`t know that i have to look at overlapping of CI.

Last edited:

hlsmith

Not a robit
You don't have to look at overlapping CI's for that. In post #3, you write, direct effect is bigger. I was responding to whether you were trying to truly say it is bigger or not. If you aren't trying to do that, then ignore the overlap part.

I didn`t understand you. Sorry. But now i am not sure can i say that i have mediation effect? From these results i can see that CI are overlapping in some value.