Mixed ANOVA Unequal Gender Ratio

Dear all,

For my thesis I'm doing a factorial Mixed ANOVA in which I look at gender differences. As it's a mixed ANOVA, everyone goes through the same conditions. The problem however is that I have 10 men and 26 women in my sample. Therefore the groups that I compare when looking at gender, aren't equal. I was wondering if there was a specific test I could do to calculate how problematic this difference in gender ratio is and if there is a test I could do to make up for this discrepancy?

Thank a lot in advance.

fed2

I think if gender is independent then it is not a real issue, except possible there is some reduction in the power of some tests. What do you mean by 'makeup for this discrepancy'?

obh

Hi Bob,

The calculation is different for unbalance groups since there is a correlation between the factors.
You need to choose a function that supports an unbalanced design. there are 3 types that deal with the correlation in different ways. Usually using the conservative types 2 or 3. (If you use R you may use Anova function from "car")

I think if gender is independent then it is not a real issue, except possible there is some reduction in the power of some tests. What do you mean by 'makeup for this discrepancy'?
Well there are non-parametric tests that you can use to make up for the violation of assumptions/ in which you don't need to comply to certain assumptions right? So I was wondering if there was a similar test you can do when there is an unequal gender ratio. But if I understand your reply, there isn't one, or at least you don't have to do one (if gender is independent)?

Hi Bob,

The calculation is different for unbalance groups since there is a correlation between the factors.
You need to choose a function that supports an unbalanced design. there are 3 types that deal with the correlation in different ways. Usually using the conservative types 2 or 3. (If you use R you may use Anova function from "car")
What makes you say that there is a correlation?