Modeling traffic according to a distribution.

Hello everybody!
I'm new in this forum and I hope this is the right place to post this thread..
I'd like to kindly ask you just a suggestion to solve my problem..

I have to model a web server traffic (e.g. user requests per server session) which follows a certain distribution (e.g. an inverse gaussian of which I know mu and lambda). I should code a simulator of such traffic but what I cannot understand is how to use the distribution for generating numbers.
Could you please give me any hint?

Thanks so much since now! Bye:)

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
Hello everybody!
I'm new in this forum and I hope this is the right place to post this thread..
I'd like to kindly ask you just a suggestion to solve my problem..

I have to model a web server traffic (e.g. user requests per server session) which follows a certain distribution (e.g. an inverse gaussian of which I know mu and lambda). I should code a simulator of such traffic but what I cannot understand is how to use the distribution for generating numbers.
Could you please give me any hint?

Thanks so much since now! Bye:)

Which program are you using? And does it have a random number generator that generates numbers with uniform probability?

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
I always thought the C math library had (pseudo) random number functions.

http://www.phanderson.com/C/random.html

Else see this:

http://people.scs.fsu.edu/~burkardt/m_src/uniform/uniform.html

Getting the uniform number generator to work would be the first step to solving your problem. Once you've got that post back.
Hello again! maybe i made some confusion in explaining my problem.. :rolleyes:
I have to characterize a (web) system load in order to solve an analitical model: in the assignment is given that the requests per session follow an Inverse Gaussian distribution, the user think time a Pareto, the HTML pages' dimension a Lognormal and so on...
My problem is how to use these distributions to get the values which characterize the load.... :confused:

Hello again!

I finally understood what I had to do but now i have one final issue: I have to write a C function which generates random numbers according to an Inverse gaussian distribution of which i know mu=3.86 and lambda=9.46...

Values from all other distributions I had to use (eg pareto) have been generated by using CSIM's functions (like pareto(alfa) ), but for inverse Gaussian such a function is not provided so I have to write it...

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP!
Bye!

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
Hello again!

I finally understood what I had to do but now i have one final issue: I have to write a C function which generates random numbers according to an Inverse gaussian distribution of which i know mu=3.86 and lambda=9.46...

Values from all other distributions I had to use (eg pareto) have been generated by using CSIM's functions (like pareto(alfa) ), but for inverse Gaussian such a function is not provided so I have to write it...

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP!
Bye!
This is what I was trying to help you with in the first place.

As stated before the first step is to get a uniform distribution working (so you can randomly generate probabilities from 0 to 1).

Then you use the inverse CDF (or quantile function) of your distribution to generate random numbers.

normal cdf(x)=p
inverse cdf(p)=x

So your uniform[0,1] distribution generates probabilities from 0 to 1. You then use these values with your inverse CDF. This basically "turns” your uniform probabilities into to values from your distribution of choice, it's that simple.

So what you need:

A) uniform dist.
B) the quantile function (inverse cdf) for your inverse Gaussian dist.

Example from the exponential distribution:

CDF =

p=1-exp(-L*x)

Inverse CDF =

1-p = exp(-L * x)
ln(1-p) = -L * x
ln(1-p)/-L = x

note: inverse cdf unsolvable?

I have never tried this for the inverse Gaussian however the standard procedure if your inverse cdf proves unsolvable is to use an optimization algorithm that returns the x value for every p.

Hope this gets you a result,