Multiple logistic regression interpretation help

I'm looking at the association between one binary dependent variable, and several independent variables. I first did univariate analysis, and then put all variables with p<0.05 into a logistic regression model.

My issue is this: a couple of the variables produced odds ratios <1 on regression analysis, despite univariate analysis demonstrating positive associations between the dependent variable and the independent variables in question (i.e. I would have expected OR>1).

Can this be explained by taking into account the confounding effect of other variables? Or does it mean I have done something wrong?

noetsi

Fortran must die
Univariate analysis does not mean anything for multivariate analysis. It is entirely possible the sign can be reversed. It is the impact of x on Y controlling for the other variables (which may be what you mean by confounding).

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
I would also add, how big was it's effect in bivariate analyses versus multiple logistic regression? @noetsi - is correct in that bivariate analyses are not adjusting for other covariates, which may interact, mediate, or unconfound relationships. Using bivariate <0.05 as a screening is frowned upon. Model building should be based on your context knowledge of the underlying data generating process. Also, results from such a model should be report with a high level of reservation on their generalizability if they are not validated using a holdout dataset.

Thanks for the responses everyone. For context, I have attached the simplified results tables.

I should add - this is just for an undergraduate dissertation, and I have no prior stats experience. This is why I decided to use bivariate <0.05 for inclusion in multivariate analysis. It seemed like the most straightforward method, and one which I have seen done in several studies similar to mine.

Variables G and M were the ones I had wondered about specifically - I had expected OR>1.

Attachments

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Of note, most people may say your model could only support 3-4 predictors, given the ~70 outcome events.