neuronal network analysis - what nethod?

Dear all,

I am analyzing the formation of neuronal networks in wild type and transgenic animals. There is very subtle but clear difference in the spacing and organization of the cell nuclei clusters in these two types of neuronal networks. I can easily extract from images the x and y coordinates of the nuclei but after that I am pretty clueless as to what kind of statistical method to use to show that what I see with my eyes is real.

Could you please give me an advice for possible statistical methods/software which I can use?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

Outlier

TS Contributor
I can easily extract from images the x and y coordinates of the nuclei but after that I am pretty clueless as to what kind of statistical method to use to show that what I see with my eyes is real.
For DNA analysis they put musical notes on "what's normal" and then you listen for the sour notes.
This is kind of like using your own neural networks to discriminate between patterns.

The search phrase for this is "pattern recognition".
The data compression people are heavy into this because they want to compress data without losing valuable picture information. "Lossless compression" takes up more memory so they want "lossy" methods that work. People can easily recognize a face with considerable loss of data, but your patterns may prove resistant to this type of data reduction.