New guy, Stats help needed with this problem.

$

$tatsGuy

Hi guys,
I'm taking Mathematical Statistics course and we are following Statistical Inference book by George Casella.
I was able to solve most of the h/w problems but i'm stuck on the last one.
Here is the problem:

Write an algorithm that uses the inverse cdf to sample from a discrete random variable whose probability function is P(X=k) = 1/(e * k!),k=0,1,2,...

I'm confused how we use inverse cdf to sample. and this e*k! is multiplication. Please help me in getting started with this problem. Any kind of help is welcome.
THanks a lot.

$

$tatsGuy

THanks Ohm's law.
I tried hard, but couldn't decipher this problem. My submission deadline ends today. I hope professor gives solution to this one. So that i can post it here and we can discuss over it. Thanks.

So that i can post it here and we can discuss over it.
That would be great!

by the way, just in case: A (natural number) factorial is the product of all natural numbers less then n. It's not possible to compute this (at least, not on calculators, and it's impractical to do so by hand) for large numbers. 13 or 14 is usually about the maximum that can be computed on a calculator or a computer (depending on if it's a 32 or 64 bit computer) unless it has something special to do it with. So, there is a formula for approximating n! when n is large:
n! ~ n^n / e^n
where e is a constant called the natural logarithm base, and is equal to approximately 2.71828...