Non-Parametric Analyses. Report medians and 95% CI in graphs?

Mimi

Okay so,

I'm currently writing my thesis, and I have to do non-parametric tests. I know that I have to report the medians in text. However, I'm doing graphs. Just wanted to ask whether anyone knows if I report the 95% CI and the medians in the graphs? When i do this it looks super weird and doesn't really reflect my hypotheses (i.e. the CI on the graph makes it look like things are non-sig when they actually are).

Was hoping anyone could shed light on this.

Thanks,
Mimi

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Can you describe your data a little bit, and what test you performed?
If you used Mann-Whitney or Kruskal-wallis, it may happen that you can have significance difference sport ed by the test and yet similar medians.

Gm

noetsi

Fortran must die
Medians are just one of many approaches in non-parametrics. The use of pairs is at least as common or ranks. Regardless, advice I always give someone (form my own painful experience) is when you work on a thesis you should ask your advisor (and comittee) their views on this.

I don't think it is required to report CI even with mean tests let alone medians. Test of statistical signficance are more common from my observation.

bugman

Super Moderator
You could consider plottin your data as boxplots. This will show the median, and other useful features of your distributions.

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Just to supplement Bugman's reply, you could also use notched boxplots, to visually represent the 95% CI for the medians. But the problem the OP describes would linger. That's why, first, I would like to have some info about the data themselves and about the test used.