Not Another Online Applied Stats MS Thread!

I got a BA in psychology with an eye on research. Ended up enjoying only the statistics aspects of my research. I took Calc I, II and intro to Linear Algebra and am now taking Calc III and Linear Algebra in preparation to a Stats MS in my home state. I have research experience, excellent GREs, and okay recommendation letters.

The situation: I met the love of my life over the summer. We also moved to a different state, where he has an excellent job that allows him to be the breadwinner. OTOH, this meant a lost semester due to wedding plans and moving.

For me, the plan is to get a MS, entering in the Fall 2014 semester. While raising kids, I'd like to work part-time doing data analysis for studies, or freelancing, and later go for a PhD, once they're in school or grown.

I've applied to one on-campus program near where I live. I'm thinking that an online program, done part-time, would do the trick. Iowa State sounds like the best one, but I'm also applying to RIT.

Does this sound realistic? Has anyone completed an MS Statistics online part time, and do you think this is a good idea?

Mean Joe

TS Contributor
I did not respond because I have not done a degree online, and don't have much firsthand advice to give. If you want a response I can give you one. I think your plan sounds realistic. Do I have this right: You want to finish your MS in __ years, maybe/maybe not do some freelance work, then do your PhD after the kids grow up?

One of my coworkers followed a similar path. When she had kids, she put aside her scholastic aspirations. I guess to paraphrase Mike Tyson, everyone has a plan until they get kids.

When the kids grow up, things will be a lot different. I don't think I could ever plan ~20 years into the future. In your case, will statistics will be as in-demand? Do you think you at least have a sidetrack you could pursue if you don't end up pursuing statistics 20 years from now? Such as teaching. You may not end up where you thought you would be. Pursuing personal improvement is rarely a bad idea.