Not sure which statistical method to use to analyze results

I am trying to figure out which specific bone fractures (out of a total of 16 different types of fractures) are associated with two types of bladder injuries (a severe one (867.1) and a less severe one (867.0)). Below is an imgur link that shows a picture of a simplified version of my data set. I used a "TRUE/FALSE" nomenclature to describe when an event occurred. So a "TRUE" value under the "Pelvic fracture 1" columns means that that patient suffered from a type 1 pelvic fracture (for example).
I have no clue which SPSS tools that I need to use to figure out which specific pelvic fracture are associated with 867 and 867.1 bladder injuries.

Thank You,

Link to simplified data set:

Hi Kylemcat,

So patient #1 has 2 pelvic fractures #1 and #2 and suffers from less severe bladder injury?
I assume the dependent variable is the bladder injury?
I assume you have more than 2 patients?

Hi Kylemcat,

So patient #1 has 2 pelvic fractures #1 and #2 and suffers from less severe bladder injury?
I assume the dependent variable is the bladder injury?
I assume you have more than 2 patients?
Hi! Yes, that is correct. And yes, there are many more patients. The total is around 20K. I just provided a fake example of the rules just to illustrate how my data is structured.

I assume you want to be able to predict what bladder injury base on the fractures?

Or more accurately to determine the probability for
Bladder 1 or bladder 2 based on the fractures?

Otherwise it is only analysing the data. (example for bladder 1. 20% fracture 1 30% fracture 2 and 50% fracture 3

Last edited:
Isn’t it about just doing a cross table with one variable (pelvic fracture 1 or other) as rows and type of bladder injury as columns? And possibly do a chi-square test.

A confusing thing is that, from the example, it seems to be possible to have both pelvic fracture 1 and pelvic fracture 2.

Maybe do a logistic regression (which is close to the chi-squarred test) or maybe a classification, like Fisher’s linear discrimination analysis.

Hi Greta :)

I'm not sure why do you want to do the chi-square test in this case? just comparing between Bladder 1 and bladder 2 may not give too much?

I was leading to Logistic Regression if Kylemcat wants to predict the probabilities of Bladder 1 and bladder 2 based on the fractures.
Also, In this case, having more than one Fracture is not a problem.

Maybe (or probably!) I have not understood the situation. I thought he had a bladder-variable (with two levels) and a fracture-variable (also with two level) so that you can make a two-by-two table. The Pearson chi-squarred test for that will be very similar to the likelihood based (likelihood ratio test) in logistic regression.

But since the OP has 20k observations I guess that estimation (simply doing the table or parameter estimates in logit) is more important than testing.

But maybe I have misunderstood what it is about. :)