Nursing Research/Stats

Hello, all. I am a nursing student (master's degree program) currently enrolled in a nursing research course. One of my assignments this week is to locate research resources (individuals who have experience with research or individuals who are experienced with statistics and who would be willing to provide assistance to a novice researcher who will be using statistics in research studies). Based on my general review of this website, there seem to be some individuals here who are extremely knowledgeable and well-educated in statistics. Is it safe to assume that if I had a question about statistically analyses that I could post it here and receive an educated reply? If I had a published research article that I wanted to implement in practice, but I was not sure that the research methods were properly utilized, how would a statistics-savvy individual go about making sure the statistical tests were valid and accurate? (I actually have to ask these questions and receive answers for my homework assignment).

Thank you to anyone who posts.

Leah N. Woods, RN, BSN

JohnM

TS Contributor
leahnwoods,

Welcome to the forum - and thanks for the compliments:D

Yes, you can post a question about statistical analysis and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

With regard to research articles, it's unlikely that we would get around to reading one and providing a critique in a timely manner...sorry.:)

In terms of determining whether or not the methods in a given paper are valid or repeatable, it's like anything else - the more experienced you are, the easier it will be for you to judge - a novice may tend to "take it for granted" while an expert may find ways to "poke holes in it."

John