Outcomes of ANOVA

Hello All,

my study is about the effect of stress on altruistic behavior.

Using TSST for stress induction (+control task), a donation task with 80 charities (40 charities in the pre- and 40 charities in the post stress conditon) in which the Participants had the opportunity to donate between 0 and 20 Euro. Additionally Empathy, Compassion and Perspective taking was measured in the pre- and post stress condition. 43 Participants. Duration of 174 minutes.
Cortisol, pulse, and blood pressure was measured over the 5 time points as a measurement of stress reaction.

Now, I divided the participants into 2 groups (high cortisol respondents and low cortisol respondents). I want to find out whether there is a statistically significant difference in the donated sums in the prestress and poststress condition. I guess ANOVA with repeated measurements is the right test? If so, for which results do I look for in the Output template?

Help.

Last edited:

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Now, I divided the participants into 2 groups (high cortisol respondents and low cortisol respondents).
Why did you do so, and how? Often such a categorization into 2 groups is considered a huge mistake.
It wastes statistical information and might be misleading. There are rarely situations where you could not
use the original values.
I want to find out whether there is a statistically significant difference in the donated sums in the prestress and poststress condition. I guess ANOVA with repeated measurements is the right test?
You could perform a mixed analysis of variance with "time of measurement"
as repeated-measures factor and cortisol response as interval scaled predictor.
The interaction between time and cortisol will be of interest for you.

With kind regards

Karabiner

Last edited:
Dear Karabiner,

thanks a lot for your answer.
The reason for re-categorizing the groups was that I did not find any effect between the stress and control group.

I want to find out if the intensity of the expression of empathy, mentalizing, and perspective taking(IV) has an effect on donation sums(DV).
I would like to perform an ANCOVA with the post stress condition as the dependent variables. Do you think it is right?

I cant figure out how to place all these variables:

Stress and Control group (Fixed Factor)
Mean donation (pre-stress)
Mean donation (post-stress) (DV)

Mean Empathy (pre-stress)
Empathy-post (post-stress)
Perspective taking (pre-stress)
Perspective taking (post-stress)
Compassion (pre-stress)
Compassion (post-stress)

Help!