Outliers Parametric model

I'm struggling to decide how to normalise my data for modeling.

I am dealing with crowdfunded projects and a huge chunk of them (15%) raised $0 - $10 dollars, therefore failing. Those produce a very strong positive skew that is impossible to normalise. (tried log, z-scores, cubic). And will not adding value to my model.

Therefore I decided to remove them. (although these outliers are valid).

I tried Winsorizing them, but suspected that was wrong. Thus concluding that my only option is to trim them by dropping the top and bottom 10% of values.

Is this approach correct, or is there a better method?
Perhaps a non-parametric model..

Please don't remove a correct outlier, this is a mistake.

Maybe there is a way to transform to normal if you want you can send example data.
Anyway, non-parametric tests are a good choice, with no normality assumption

Please don't remove a correct outlier, this is a mistake.

Maybe there is a way to transform to normal if you want you can send example data.
Anyway, non-parametric tests are a good choice, with no normality assumption
Hi, thanks for replying. That was my impression as well.

Here is the link to the data; https://ufile.io/vgxm1
4 features of crowdfunding campaigns on Kickstarter: ID, Backers Funding Goal (numeric)

The data is raw, so I can post a jupyter notebook tomorrow if that helps. However it should be clean enough for a quick look through.

P.S. Some outliers are indeed wrong. Eg. Its unreasonable that a projects seeks to crowdfund 1$. But having values of 0-5 for funding or backers is reasonable, due to high failure rates (account for at least 1/4 of the data).

Thanks!

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Is it really unreasonable? My understanding is that they don't get the money unless they reach their goal so setting it to be $1 and bring happy with whatever they raise might be something that makes sense to them

Is it really unreasonable? My understanding is that they don't get the money unless they reach their goal so setting it to be $1 and bring happy with whatever they raise might be something that makes sense to them
Thats a great observation Dason. Didn't think of that.

Unfortunately for me this puts trimming out of the question. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks

Can you post a sample of the data and say what your goal/question is
I can only upload this in txt format and its quite a small sample. the full thing can be found here as a csv: https://ufile.io/vgxm1

The goal is to construct a regression model to predict the funding of campaigns based on the other input variables.

Even some pointers for non-parametric models or outlier detection would be usefull, since I spent a lot of time doing the wrong thing, it seems.
So far i trimmed, removed outliers 2std from mean, added a contant so as to change 1s and be able to use log...

I'm new to this stuff so thanks for the patience and interest!

Attachments