Partial reggression plots

noetsi

Fortran must die
To test for non-linearity. I think they are specified by

plots = partial in the data statement of proc reg (with ODS GRAPHICS on).

Note the following...

Partial regression plots are related to, but distinct from, partial residual plots. Partial regression plots are most commonly used to identify data points with high leverage and influential data points that might not have high leverage. Partial residual plots are most commonly used to identify the nature of the relationship between Y and Xi (given the effect of the other independent variables in the model).

I think I want partial residual plots since I am testing for non-linearity in the context of multivariate not bivariate data. But the documentation is confusing to me in SAS. I think you request partial residual plots this way

To test for non-linearity. I think they are specified by

plots = partial
in the data statement of proc reg (with ODS GRAPHICS on).

while the partial regression plots uses PARTIAL In the option line of the model statement instead.

Last edited:

hlsmith

Not a robit
When I test a continuous variable for linearity in the model, I usually just use a SAS gam model (I think gampl, etc.) and look at the plotted relationship and how many if any knots there are on it.

noetsi

Fortran must die
When I test a continuous variable for linearity in the model, I usually just use a SAS gam model (I think gampl, etc.) and look at the plotted relationship and how many if any knots there are on it.
I am not familiar with that, partial residual slopes is all I know.