probability calculation

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Yes, provide much more information. For example is "X-50" representing X minus 50 or a range, so X:50. Also, hey what in the world were you provided. Obviously your instructor did not just provide the following and expect you to be able to answer it, so why do you think we divine such omnipotent powers?

Calculate the probability that P [X-50]> 0
(formalize the question and continue with the resolution).

I apologize for the inaccurate question, but I am really finding it very difficult. X-50 is a minus. I would like at least some suggestions for resolution, if possible ... thanks!

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
But is data provided? X could be any type of data (continuous, binary presented as percentages), I would have to imagine more information should be available or at least tell us the context. Is this suppose to be a one-sided one-sample ttest and they want a p-value, which is not the probability that P[X-50] > 0. I am gonna have to give up on trying to help unless you provide drastically more information.

@Dason - isn't P vs Pr used for continuous vs discrete or vice versa?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
@Dason - isn't P vs Pr used for continuous vs discrete or vice versa?
I've never really seen any distinction like that.

But yeah unless OP literally got a white sheet of paper with just that sentence and nothing else on it then there is context aren't mentioning.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Yes that is very important information for the problem. So with that said if X~N(50, 289^2) what would the distribution of (X-50) be?