Probability of two players

Hello group.

If Player A has a 42% probability of scoring 20 points

and

Player B has a 60% probability of scoring 10 points

What is the probability of both of their final scores summing 30?

How to I work this out?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I think we would need more info. Are there scores independent. What are the probabilities of any other score they could get.

Assuming what you gave is the only data we can use and that both players are independent, then just use the product of their probabilities.
P(A and B) = P(A) x P(B)
But if there are other facts you have to reveal, then the product of their probabilities will be of no use.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Well the issue is we literally have other points we know must exist but we don't have information to tell us if any of the other point combinations sum to 30.

Hello group.

Player A has a 42% probability of scoring 20 or more points.

and

Player B has a 60% probability of scoring 10 or more points.

What is the probability of both of their final scores summing a minimum of 30 points?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Ok but still... Not enough info. I mean it's entirely possible for player A to have less than 20 points and player B to have more than 10 in a way that they sum to over 30. So we don't have enough info.

Is this literally the only info you have?

I just need to know how to find the probability for the sum of two continuous random variables to exceed x. You can use a made up example if you want. Thank you!

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Look up "convolution". But yeah the info you gave isn't nearly enough for a discrete random variable and even less so for a continuous one. Just a suggestion for the future - give all relevant details. We have 9 posts here before we even got an outline of what you are actually trying to do. We could have saved some time if you outlined your actual problem.