Probability that it rains today or tomorrow

I'm working through this nice online textbook on probability and statistics and I'm struggling to understand one of the examples:

Suppose we have the following information:
  1. There is a 60 percent chance that it will rain today.
  2. There is a 50 percent chance that it will rain tomorrow.
  3. There is a 30 percent chance that it does not rain either day.
Find the probability that it will rain today or tomorrow.
It seems to me that item #3 is incompatible with items #1 and #2, is it not? I thought through it like this:

The set of all possible outcomes is (today_rain, tomorrow_rain), (today_rain, tomorrow_sun), (today_sun, tomorrow_rain), (today_sun, tomorrow_sun). Given the probabilities in #1 and #2, the set looks like this: (0.6,0.5), (0.6,0.5), (0.4,0.5), (0.4,0.5). Then, we are trying to find the compliment of the probability of the event (today_sun, tomorrow_sun) which would be 1 - (0.4 * 0.5) = 0.8. However, because the author included #3, the provided answer is 1 - 0.3 = 0.7.

Can someone help me with this?

obh

Hi Mthelm,

When you calculate the 0.8 you assumed independent events!
So you just proved that the events are dependent events (it also makes sense about rain ...)
I don't really need the next following lines... but I will show the simple structure prove.

If the events are independent then P(A∩B) = p(A) * p(B) = 0.6 * 0.5 = 0.3

But P(A∪B) = 1 - P(A'∩B') by the complement rule = 1 - 0.3 = 0.7 (which is the original question's answer ...)

P(A∩B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A∪B) by the addition rule = 0.6 + 0.5 - 0.7 = 0.4

Since P(A∩B) equals 0.4 and not 0.3 it proves that the events are dependent events.

You may also use the following calculator: https://www.statskingdom.com/probability-calculator.html

Hi Mthelm,

When you calculate the 0.8 you assumed independent events!
So you just proved that the events are dependent events (it also makes sense about rain ...)
I don't really need the next following lines... but I will show the simple structure prove.

If the events are independent then P(A∩B) = p(A) * p(B) = 0.6 * 0.5 = 0.3

But P(A∪B) = 1 - P(A'∩B') by the complement rule = 1 - 0.3 = 0.7 (which is the original question's answer ...)

P(A∩B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A∪B) by the addition rule = 0.6 + 0.5 - 0.7 = 0.4

Since P(A∩B) equals 0.4 and not 0.3 it proves that the events are dependent events.

You may also use the following calculator: https://www.statskingdom.com/probability-calculator.html
Oh, wow! Thank you very much for the help!!