Question about sample

Hello everyone,

I am currently analyzing my research results for my thesis. I have some problems with determining the correct test.

Just a small sketch:

My research is about family businesses where, for example, I investigate whether there is a difference in family values between two generations (generation x & Millennials). The scores are assigned on a likert scale (so scale variable).

I think that I am dealing with independent samples here. Is this correct? I have already seen other theses with a similar case, but are they referred to as dependent samples?

Can someone give me a little more explanation about this?

Thanks in advance!

If you refer to the same family in two generations this is dependent test, even in dependent test the couples should be independent, so dependent generations for each family and independent families.

If you refer to the same family in two generations this is dependent test, even in dependent test the couples should be independent, so dependent generations for each family and independent families.
I have questioned the young and older generation in 20 family businesses. If I want to compare these groups, are they independent? I learned in my course that groups are independent if you compare 1 variable (eg family values) over 2 groups (old and young).