R graphs and capabilities

Hello everyone,

I am a MATLAB-user (in my previous work & education) but my company has R installed (and I don’t think there is the will to get an expensive MATLAB license). I am vaguely familiar with R as I used it for a statistics class 8 years ago, but I haven’t touched it since then.

The problems I have can easily be done in MATLAB and I know how to do them, but before I commit to using R for this (I’ll get a $30 manual off Amazon to help me along), I’d like to find out from frequent users of R whether or not the following can be done in R (it has been about 8 years since I used R):

- I want R to take an Excel input (filled with numbers), run some basic analysis on these numbers (using if statements and performing actions such as sorting items by month), generate an Excel output (which will be saved somewhere) and also generate some graphs e.g. take all the customer complaints from the North East, determine which of them come from tall men with beards, and plot a time series plot of tall men with graphs. I want this to be done in a fairly automated way i.e. I’d much rather not sit down every month (which is the frequency with which I have to run these reports) and peruse reams and reams of data. In MATLAB, it’s very easy – you just create a simple mfile and run that every month.

Can R do this? If so, I am a super fast learner and I’ll learn very quickly, but I just want to be sure that R can do this (I think it can) and if so, I’ll get the book ASAP.

Thanks,
Miss Nike
P.S: I didn't find an exact thread of this sort, which is why I thought to start a new thread. I apologize in advance if there is already something of the sort out there. Thanks!!

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
- I want R to take an Excel input (filled with numbers), run some basic analysis on these numbers (using if statements and performing actions such as sorting items by month), generate an Excel output (which will be saved somewhere) and also generate some graphs e.g. take all the customer complaints from the North East, determine which of them come from tall men with beards, and plot a time series plot of tall men with graphs. I want this to be done in a fairly automated way i.e. I’d much rather not sit down every month (which is the frequency with which I have to run these reports) and peruse reams and reams of data. In MATLAB, it’s very easy – you just create a simple mfile and run that every month.

Can R do this? If so, I am a super fast learner and I’ll learn very quickly, but I just want to be sure that R can do this (I think it can) and if so, I’ll get the book ASAP.
Yes. Though it will depend on your R skill level, but for an experienced R user that shouldn't be hard to do.

You could also just use octave, which is much closer to matlab.