Shapiro wilk effect size

Hi,

Do you know how to calculate the effect size for Shapiro Wilk test?

When using Shapiro Wilk test on a large sample, most likely it will reject H0 even for normally distributed population, since large sample will identify the minor effect as significant.

You might be interested in this Cross Validated thread.

Basically, I think the conclusion in that thread is that there is no uniform definition for the deviance from normality, since it can be defined in many ways.

I think most textbooks advise not to use the Shapiro Wilk test anyway and just use a Q-Q plot and inspect the matter graphically. Obviously, that does raise the question how to decide when the data are too non-normal. But in many cases violation of the normality assumption is not that critical, anyway. What is the context for your question?

Last edited:
Thanks Junes,

I read the thread (and again) and they mainly say what is not effect size ...(not W...)

I thought the recommendation is to use a combination of Shapiro-Wilk and QQ plot.

I don't really believe we need to use our eyes instead of the computer ... and I suspect a combination of Shapiro-Wilk test and effect will give a better result than only Shapiro-Wilk test, like in any other test.