Significant interaction effects but no significant simple effects

Ank

Hi all!

For my thesis i'm having some trouble with interpreting a significant interaction effect while the simple effects are both insignificant.
I already checked related fora but in most cases the solution is, that it's a cross over interaction but i already checked this on my data and this is not the case.

I have a significant interaction between variable A (two levels) and variable B (two levels) on Y.
This would indicate the effect of A on Y differs by B, however the effect of A with level 1 or with level 2 are both insignificant.
Does anyone know how to interpret my data?

Thank you a lot!

noetsi

Fortran must die
It could be a power issue. In ANOVA various tests have differing power and that matters in the statistical tests in ways that make little substantive sense. Multicolinearity could also be an issue although I am not sure how that impact simple effects.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
There is no need that main effects are statistically significant when the interaction is statistically signficant.
See for example here https://i1.wp.com/statisticsbyjim.c...eractions_plot_categorical.png?resize=576,384

Just describing results in terms of signficant/nonsignificant is not very informative, by the way.
You should report the group sizes and the 4 means (with standard deviations), and the precise
p-values.

With kind regards

Karabiner

Ank

@Karabiner i know the main effect does not need to be significant for the itneraction to be significant. However my problem is the simple effects are not significant while the interaction is. I already made a table like this:

Level 1 A Level 1 B (mean) (sd)
Level 2 A Level 1 B (mean) (sd) (p value)
Level 1 A Level 2 B (mean) (sd)
Level 2 A Level 2 B (mean) (sd) (p value)

Karabiner

TS Contributor
It is hard to believe that the interaction effect was statistically significant.
Seemingly you have very large sample sizes?

With kind regards

Karabiner

Ank

Yes my sample size consisted of around 20.000 observations. However, the interaction was marginally significant (0.054)

Karabiner

TS Contributor
So you have a group difference of +0.025 standard deviations
in onesample, and of-0.05 standard deviations in the other sample.

Given the huge sample size, the standard errors for these differences
will be tiny, therefore you can interpret them straightforward, I suppose.

Are effect sizes between 0.025 and -0.05 standard deviations worth
cosidering in the context of your study and your research questions?

With kind regards

Karabiner

noetsi

Fortran must die
With a large enough sample size lots of things are statistically significant. The question is if they are substantially significant (effect size). I don't know how to interpret the effect size of interaction, you either have it or you don't.