Skewed, non-normal data and central tendency tests

Hi everyone, I have about 10,000 observations for a variable with a skewed, non-normal distribution (min=-2000, max=3000, mean=-0.30, median=0.003). I would like to perform a t-test against the null that the mean = 0. Although the sample is large, the non-normality gives me pause, which leads to a Wilcoxon Signed Rank test. Problem here is the signs of the t-test and the Signed Rank Test are opposite. Under consideration now are: 1) performing these two tests on normalized data (i.e., all values between 0 and 1); and 2) a randomization test. I'm not sayiing that these two considerations are necessarily appropriate. So, before exhausting the necessary resources for these two considerations, I would like to hear the opinions of the members of this forum for how they would proceed. I am grateful for any insight. Thank you, Rick

Miner

TS Contributor
With that large a sample size (n=10,000), you are perfectly safe using a t-test. Normality is only a concern with small sample sizes (e.g., n ~< 10).

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Agreed. Make a histogram for your data as well - since given the closeness of mean and median, they don't see terribly skewed base on those markers.

A histogram reveals that the distribution is very leptokurtic. Any insight for the conflicting signs between the t-test and the Signed Rank test?

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Are you absolutely sure that one test says A > B and the other says A < B?
Sometimes there are coding errors or interpretation errors.

With kind regards

Karabiner

Miner

TS Contributor
The two tests are checking different things. The t-test is a means test. The Wilcoxon signed rank test is not. It is median test of the differences.

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Well your mean is negative and median is positive, does that answer your question? Do you need a test for this comparison to zero? Couldnt you just report a histogram with the mean and median markered. What does a formal test really solve here. Also, are you saying they are opposite via something like two pvalue that are pretty much the same, but one marginally passes a cutoff?