social scientists +1

trinker

ggplot2orBust
:welcome:

Glad to have you aboard, I too am a social scientist (in training) that like to have his stats done the right way or at least the most reasonable way :) What type of social scientist? What is your level of familiarity with stats? What are some areas of statistical interest you have?

lorb

Thanks for the welcome :) I'm a sociologist and most of my work so far has been very theoretical. So i'm a little inexperienced when it comes to using stats with real data. (Not the pre-made one where you just follow the instructions and get a nice result *surprise*) I'm currently working on a project to research the attitudes of 6 to 10 year old kids. my level of familiarity with stats is what they taught me at the university, so nothing really complex.
areas of interest: my current project made me very aware of a big hole in my skillset that i definitely want to amend, so: everything. currently trying to _understand_ things and not just blindly throw some tests and things at my data.

(also i am not a native speaker in english.)

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Yeah I find the real data just doesn't behave like I want it to. It has missing values and non normal distributions and outliers and low sample size and attrition and...

That's what makes stats fun though too. It is like a puzzle and you have to figure out the most appropriate solution. :)

I like what you say here:

currently trying to _understand_ things and not just blindly throw some tests and things at my data
I think this is the difference between a researcher and a scientist.