Spearmans test...?!

Rara

Im conducting a project and it is based on radiographs, basically i look at a radiograph and decide how difficult it is likely to be i have done this using 120 patinets. Then i have used 3 different scorring systems, which all predict how hard surgery will be, im trying to find out which one is the best?
I have put all the figures into excel but now am clueless as what to do?
Help would be great. Thanks Rach

Dr.D

I need to know what you are seeking to do in particular. What are you looking to do? Examine relationships? What are your main variables?

Spearman correlations are used to examine relationships between ordinal variables.

Rara

Right!

I am trying to find out which scoring system is the most accurate at predicting how hard surgery will be.
Variables are:
1/ Time (longer the time for surgey=harder surgery)
2/ Scoring system (three different types, all achieve the same outcome but trying to find which one is best.) eg
WHARFE score if the score is between 11-8 surgery hard, 7-6 moderately hard, 5 and below easy.
PEDERSON score 7-10 difficult, 5-6 moderate, 3-4 easy.
Pell&Gregory score class 3 difficult, class 2 moderate, Class 1 easy, theis score also has a second element so 3 is difficult, 2 is moderate and 1 is easy. so if 3 3 it is hard, 2 1 easyish.
Make any sense?
The Pell& Gregory one is a git because it has two different class's.
Bet ure thinking you wished you hadnt asked what it was about..!
Rach

Dr.D

So you are predicting difficulty of surgery which is based on length of time (is this expressed in minutes or hours). You can use a multiple regression to examine the impact of the three scores on difficulty of surgery.

This is can be a very easy exercise..I LOVE THIS...I CAN WORK WITH YOU ON THIS TO GET THE BEST RESULTS.

SEND ME ANOTHER POST

Rara

Time is in minutes

The time is in minutes. so in excel one row is time next is the WHARFE, PEDERSON then p&g (which has 2 rows.)
i have put the results in excel.

Dr.D

Ok you have the option to put it in SPSS or conduct multiple regression in SPSS. You can use the data analysis add-ins, and select regression. For the Y-variable/y-axis, select sugery variable, and then highlight the scores field as x-variable.

However you can easily export the data to SPSS, and do it quite easily. If you want, you can post or send me your data to do it. Or we can talk via MSN messenger as you go through it the same time.

Rara

I could get hold of SPSS as i can go to the library as my uni has SPSS softwear, or can email them to u as an attachment but dont want to put u out?
Rach