Sports Statisticians

Hi, I'm on the verge of graduating university and I wish to apply for job that involves the analysis of sports data. After browsing on the internet for any vacancies, i was only able to find one suitable role.

Does anyone know the pathway involved in becoming a Sports Statistician?

I'm currently studying a double degree Commerce and Science (majoring in finance and stats) at an Australian university. Cheers.

noetsi

Fortran must die
You might look up sabermetrics. This is the application of "statistics" to baseball. Note that much of what I have seen (not a great deal) of this approach does not suggest it is similar to the types of statistics one would learn in a university. It focuses more on statistics as data rather than statistics as a methodology (at least in the sense you learn such methodologies in a university). They appear to have created their own approaches to analyze data that has little in common with classical statistics. Much of the approach focuses on analyzing individual statistics (univariate rather than multivariate analysis).

There are journals that deal with sports statistics I believe. You might look at those although they may be geared to academic not practical applications (academicians focus on a great deal that is rarely used outside academics). :p

This might be of value.

http://stattrak.amstat.org/2012/08/01/sports-statistician/

Indeed is an on line publication that deals with jobs related to college. You might try there.

http://www.indeed.com/q-Sports-Statistics-jobs.html

Mean Joe

TS Contributor
Does anyone know the pathway involved in becoming a Sports Statistician?.
Can't say I do. But don't think there is only one pathway to doing it.

What have you done to get on a pathway? Do you have previous work/study experience, with an employer that has some contacts?

You could do something like start a blog, doing sports statistics. Better than laying around!

Who do you want to work for? I assure you, they are looking for GOOD workers (even though you only find one job search online). There's nothing inherently wrong with submitting a sample of your work to them, if you can find the right person to contact. Show that you know how to build relationships too. If you're the 21st century Einstein of sports stats, they'll want you. If you're not (yet), don't be afraid to work harder for less. Show that you're a good worker (this is why having a contact is great, because that person can vouch for you instead of you having to show it yourself).

JesperHP

TS Contributor
Perhaps bookmakers or professional gamblers... personally I do some statistics parttime for some professional gamblers... for the statistics I do we use Running Ball
http://www.rball.com/
perhaps they are willing to hire... they seem to be an expanding business and say they are looking for people (although that may be scouts - just registering data). But more genrally having the live betting industry in mind and seeking out the opportunities there could be a strategy ...

Sometimes offering your help for free for a certain period of time might help you to connect to people who may be able to help you in the end (wait for a vacancy from within the company). I have seen people (statisticians) entering the company I work for this way. And there is no harm in working on statistics on other topics. Experience is what counts not so much knowledge on a certain topic.

Another good site that I've noticed has gone unmentioned is www.stats.com. They're not exactly geared towards any one sport per say, but they are the company that ESPN typically references when they spout off statistics about teams/players. Judging from the site they do seem to be low-key but if you don't mind that I'd say it's worth a try.

hlsmith

Not a robit
I like noetsi's suggestions, but I would look at those articles and see what the affiliations are for the authors. You could also attempt to contact the authors. Lastly, I would post this question on a sport stats forum.

noetsi

Fortran must die
Also remember that in many states professional betting, and bookmaking, is illegal:p Check your state's laws before you are involved in it.