SPSS Recoding Question

Thank you for entertaining my question, which I hope is a Recoding question, but since I’ve reached a point of confusion, perhaps it is not.

I have tried a several textbooks, this and other forums, YouTube and some trial and error.

I inherited a data set of ~16,000 people who had medical exams over a 4 year period on a continuous annual enrollment plan.

Specifically, new patients could enroll each year and, if they enrolled in year one, would have one year of follow-up on year 2.

Likewise, if they enrolled in year 2 they would have one year of follow up on year 3
If enrolled in year 3, the would have a year of follow-up on year 4

Similarly, the could have 2 years of follow up if they enrolled in year 1 and subsequent exams in year 2 and year 3 or enrolled in year 2 with subsequent exams in year 3 and year 4.

Finally, they could have 3 years of follow-up if they enrolled in year 1 and had follow-up visits in years 2, 3 and 4.

Column 1/Var0001 = ID
Column 2/Var0002 = Exam Year defined as 1, 2, 3, or 4.

if (Exam.Year=1 & Exam.Year=2) Follow.Up=1.
if (Exam.Year=2 & Exam.Year=3) Follow.Up=1.
if (Exam.Year=3 & Exam.Year=4) Follow.Up=1.
if (Exam.Year=1 & Exam.Year=2 & Exam.Year=3) Follow.Up=2.
if (Exam.Year=2 & Exam.Year=3 & Exam.Year=4) Follow.Up=2.
if (Exam.Year=1 & Exam.Year=2 & Exam.Year=3 & Exam.Year=4) Follow.Up=3.
recode Follow.up (SYSMIS=0).

Where:

1 = 1 Year Follow-up
2 = 2 Year Follow-up
3 = 3 Year Follow-up

If I run this syntax all I get are zero’s so am now at a loss. My syntax ability is “ok” but far from fluent.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You should provide a minimal dataset and your expected output. At the very least your code doesn't work because it's currently set up so no case can logically be true (i.e. a variable can't possibly have two simultaneous values). If the exam years are contained in the same variable, it'll need to be parsed into separate variables first.

Presumably your data is in long format and looks something like this:

Code:
id     exam.year
1	1
1	2
1	3
1	4
2	2
2	3
3	4
4	1
4	2
4	3
5	3
5	4
6	4
In which case you could use aggregate the max and min exam year by id and then subtract one value from the other.

Code:
aggregate /break = id / exam.year_max = max(exam.year) / exam.year_min = min(exam.year).
compute follow.up = exam.year_max - exam.year_min.
exe.
This assumes there are no missing follow ups though.

You might also want to restructure your data to wide format:

Code:
sort cases by id.
casestovars /id = id / groupby = index.
Which will result in this:

Code:
  id follow.up exam.year.1 exam.year.2 exam.year.3 exam.year.4
   1         3           1           2           3           4
   2         1           2           3          
   3         0           4          
   4         2           1           2           3         
   5         1           3           4          
   6         0           4

At least your code does not work because it is set up so there is no case can reasonably be true ie a variation can not have two values simultaneously

Thank you both for your time and consideration and apologies for the delayed "thanks." I have it sorted now and am on to the next project.