Statistical analysis in Genetic

dany

Hi I have a question, for my research activity Iwould perform an statistical analysis. I explain, I have a pedigree with a total of 10 related members of which five members are affected of GH deficiency.
I have found a variation in a new gene, and I would like to perform a statistical analysis to verify if the involvement of this gene is statistical significative.
I have also a set of controls about 107 controls and a total of 7 unrelated patients affected of GH deficiency.
My questions is: to perform a statistical analysis I must considered all 5 affected related patients or I must excluded the related patients and I must considered only 1 patient with mutation in a 7 total cases and 107 controls; or I must considered all 5 related patients in a 12 total cases and 107 control?
Thanks in advances

I think the issue, that you correctly recognize, is that the related patients probably have a lot of genetic variants in common, by virtue of being related. They may have genes for eye color, hair color, freckle type, etc... in common, all having exactly nothing to do with GH deficiency.

I think you need a larger sample of unrelated cases!

I would check the frequency of the mutation in your related sample, and report it -- it's still data.

But I don't think you can use those numbers in a statistical comparison.

I am not, however, an expert in how genetics research is done. Maybe there are fancy ways to correct for the relatedness in a pedigree. You may want to touch bases with experts in that field, as well as reviewing how similar studies are analyzed.